I'm writing this with a heavy heart and red swollen eyes. My niece is only 6 months old. She was born prematurely at 7 months but she was healthy, and mother (my sister) and baby were sent home in less that a week.
She started developing a rash at 2 months and her skin and nails soon started peeling after that. It looked like she had been burnt. Dr's kept her in the hospital and we never really knew what was wrong with her as they kept misdiagnosing her and giving her the wrong treatment. At first they said she had eczema, then as she got worse and developed new symptoms they said it was scabies. They kept her in hospital for about a week and gave my sister instructions on how to take care of her. When she came out we had already started to notice that she was now coughing a lot that she would sometimes choke. My sister took her back and after weeks of ignoring these new symptoms, they eventually gave her an antibiotic. It seemed to be working, but only for a day or two. Then things went downhill from there. The cough got worse. Her mom started to notice that she was no longer interested in breast milk as she was being breast fed, then it looked like her neck was just making these involuntary movements and her lower body was limp and she struggled to breathe. We rushed her to the hospital and she has not recovered since then. The doctors informed us that her body was not developing and that she had TB of the brain (Meningitis), they estimated that she only had a maximum of 2 weeks to live. It was heart breaking. I felt numb and felt so sorry for my niece that she had to go through all this pain being so small, and I worry about my sister and her well being too.
After all this the doctors came back and said it was not TB Meningitis, and they did not even have the decency to tell my sister this, they just wrote it in her file.The doctors have now told us that she is getting worse as she has developed a new infection but still no word on what could be causing her mystery sickness. Her whole body is swollen. We wish to take her to a private clinic so she can get better care because we feel like the doctors have already given up on this precious life and are just waiting for her to die. My sister is not working and I'm also not able to help financially. If anyone out there can please help us help this little angel. It would mean the world to us.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. God bless.