US$4,505.00raised of $5,000.00 goal
UPDATE August 9th - On August 7th, 2013 at approximately 1am, Susan's left this part of her journey to start another. She was surrounded by friends, her fur baby Koko, beautiful harp music, and love. Susan's request is to be cremated, and her ashed be divided amongst her friends that desire to take a piece of her memory and spread it in a place they find special to them. Unfortunately, I have not been able to obtain any burial assistance, and therefore we are gathering funds for the cremation bill of $1034 and additional funding for a Celebration of Life gathering. Thank you all for your continued support as we carry out Susan's wishes in this life. With Love - Roberta
UPDATE August 1st -
I met with some of Susan's friends last night to start talking about the needs for memorial planning. It's a hard subject to talk about, but we want to respect Susan's wishes and make sure we plan in a way that will honor those wishes for her memorial while she is still able to help contribute her thoughts to the plans.
I am working on a place for a celebration of Susan's life, and the request at this point is for Susan's body to be cremated, so I am looking into options for that service. With all her monies going to the nursing home, I am put in the position of asking for help. Many of you have asked how you can help, and other than spending time with Susan, a donation toward her remaining "expenses" in the present, as well as her memorial expenses for the future.
I do not have the POA account as her Social Security checks (her income) is now sent directly to the nursing center. Any other "income" is to be given to them as well, so I am putting all donations into a personal savings account that doesn't have any ties so that we can keep what is donated from this point forward for Susan's personal needs.
There are several of you who have been an amazing financial support, and I thank you for taking a lot of the burden off of me. Any amount WILL help, and I appreciate any support - as I know Susan does as well.
March 18th 2013 - We received work this past week that the doctors give Susan approximately 6-7 months without chemotherapy (about a year with 3 months intensive therapy). Susan has decided against therapy at this time because she doesn't want to give three months of her precious time to chemo. She, in turn, has decided that she wants to welcome springs, enjoy the sun on her face, spend time with her dog, friends, listen to several friends pay music in various bands around town, catch a burlesque show (she's never seen one) and just get as much joy and love into her heart as she can before she continues her journey elsewhere. Thank you for your support.
March 4th, 2013 - This past week, our friend Susan Matthews was diagnosed with a large mass in her pelvis and colon which doctors have diagnosed as cancer, a shocking and sad diagnosis after almost a year of questions and not feeling well. The doctors are in the process of determining the stage of the cancer and where else in her body the cancer has spread, although we do know that it is in the advanced stages.
Susan underwent surgery on Saturday February 23rd and had a complete hysterectomy and other procedures in order to help her body function. Through this procedure, the doctors found that she had a nasty infection in her bloodstream. She was started on a heavy antibiotic regimen, and has been fighting like a trooper. On Sunday she was in ICU on a breathing tube, and on Monday she was in the Progressive Care Unit (a step down from ICU) and having conversations on the phone - tenacious right???
With any illness there are lots of needs, and almost always, there is a financial need. I have started this fundraising page in order to put out the call to those who are able to help monetarily. As you will see, the minimum donation is $1 - no matter what your situation, I want you to know that YOUR $1 helps Susan, as well as your love, support, visits, and “other” help!! I want to be as transparent as possible regarding where the funding is going, and so I will list some of the areas of concern and some wants/needs that have been expressed and update them as often as new needs or information becomes available.
There is a Power of Attorney account set up at Chase Bank, all funds for Susan's support will be processed through my Paypal account and deposited there. Statements for verification will be made available upon request.
1. NEED - Susan's House - I am in the process of speaking with the mortgage company in order to keep them from any harsh action on Susan's house any time in the near future, however, her next month's payment is due on Monday (3/4), and I am in negotiations with the "bank" for adjustments for now, but I don't have confirmation on what they will accept, even considering the circumstances. I KNOW that they will be asking for some sort of payment, and I will need to try and cover than as much as possible, however, the current income that is coming into the household for expenses is far less than the bills - and with no "additional funding" from sewing projects right now, the task of establishing as much of a "cushion" as possible is necessary in order to allow "us" to get her house affects and affairs in order.
2. NEED - Susan's Utilities/House Expenses - With keeping the house in place for our organizing needs, we will need to keep the utilities on, however, at the lowest "rate" possible, this will still create a bill.
3. NEED - Long Term Care - I have applications in for Medicaid and Long Term Care Aid as well as Social Security Disability. There is a bit of a waiting period for acceptance to some of these programs, and always the chance of denial. Regarding long term care, I have a dear friend from High School who runs HospiceCare of Boulder and Broomfield County that is willing to provide a room for in their short term/long term care facility as long as she needs extensive medical care so that, if possible, she can move from the hospital into a "nicer" place. There have also been many other suggestions and offers for long term care, depending on her medical needs. I want to make sure that the "major" expenses are taken care of, as well as all the "little" things we don't think of in the moment (clothes, personal care, environmental needs, etc.)
4. DONE!! THANKS ROB and LYNNE !! -
A laptop or Ipad (older model) that Susan can use at the hospital and in long term care to keep in touch with everyone, read well wishes, play games, do genealogy....keep her in touch with everyone when not all of us can visit every day.
5. WANT - Whatever Susan wants for this part of her journey!! As we confirm tests, get settled with wherever Susan is going for the next step, there will be a time of joy, laughter, positivity, encouragement, and whatever else Susan would like for this part of her amazing journey - I don't know what that looks like, but I really want to try and give her anything she may ask for, in any way "we" can!
PLEASE CLICK "HOMEPAGE" ON THE MAIN PAGE OF THIS FUNDRAISER TO BE DIRECTED TO SUSAN'S HELPING HANDS WEBPAGE FOR DAILY SUSAN UPDATES!
THANK YOUUpdate posted by syposinc at 12:12 pm
What an amazing outpouring of support! This is a great start for Susan, and is helping to take care of some of her expenses while she is in the hospital. Thank you SO much for your love and support!!