In November I will be venturing out of the UK to Sri Lanka for one month, where I will be volunteering to help protect sea turtles which are no longer able to survive in the wild. Sea turtles are slaughtered for their eggs, meat, skin, shells and are in danger of being poached and over-exploited. They also face habitat destruction and accidental capture in fishing gear.
My typical duties will include:
– Cleaning and refilling the turtle tanks
– Feeding the turtles
– Cleaning the project premises and the relevant beach area.
– Take care of the nesting area
– Cleaning the turtle’s shells.
– Collecting turtle eggs and bringing them to a safe location for them to hatch
– Re-releasing hatched baby turtles into the sea
– Taking the turtles out of their tanks to spend time with them on the beach
My aim is to contribute to the protection of these creatures whilst experiencing a new country, culture, and a different way of life.
I have organised this trip through Plan my Gap Year, which is an international volunteer placement. As it is a self-funded voluntary conservation, I will be needing to fund everything myself and so far I have paid for my placement and travel insurance, My fundraising target is £1000 to help with other costs, including flights. Any contributions or donation in order for me make this experience happen would be hugely appreciated.