On 17th November I will be running 10km in Richmond Park to raise money for a six-week long gap year conservation project in Australia. As most of you know I am definitely not a keen runner, but I am training hard and am hoping to run a decent time!
The project in Australia is based at a non-profit Centre committed to dolphin research, education, conservation and tourism based on the southwest coast of Australia. There are up to 100 dolphins living in the Bay and groups of them regularly visit the shallow waters in front of the Centre. The Centre was opened in 1994, and is the first Centre in Australia dedicated entirely to dolphin research.
Here are just a few of the things it'll involve:
- Assisting with the research program, recording observations in the bay and monitoring dolphin visits to the zone.
- Assisting to coordinate the Interaction Zone when dolphins visit.
- Talking to visitors on the beach - explaining what the Dolphin Centre does.
- Tour guiding through the Interpretive Centre for the general public, tour groups and school students.
- More details here: http://www.travellersworldwide.com/18-australia/australia-dolphins.htm
I'd appreciate any donations - large or small - that you can offer to help me!