Route 66...The Mother Road and one serious roadtrip.
We're going on an Adventure down Route 66 and we are going to write a book that will help people to do the same. Ben and I have spent hours researching sites, pooling local knowledge from our friends and colleagues and insider knowledge on the Travel industry. It occurred to us that all this information we have gathered in the preparation for this trip - including travel options, routes, and what to do and see -would be really useful to others who wanted to attempt the trip but don't have the time to do all the research that we did. So lets write a BOOK and save people the time and effort. There are other books on Route 66 but they tend to be focused on people who reside in the US and few are aimed at people with kids - especially young ones. We thought it might be useful to someone.
We have already done one long road trip in the US and learnt a great deal from that experience. Ben worked in the travel industry for 5 years and travelled around the world on business for the past 20 years. Abi has a blog called Mum in a Hurry, loves writing and has always wanted to write a book.
This is the plan and a brief outline of the book:
- (Nearly) middle-aged couple with small kids do USA Road Trip
- To be partly an instruction manual for others wishing to do same thing - including what to do's versus what-not-to-do's
- and partly a documentary of our experience with funny anecdotes
- including mapping the route and other travel knowledge to help people have the best trip they can.
The whole idea was cooked up by Ben about 5 years ago when he realised he was getting old(er)! The timing of the trip (and the whole plan all along) was to coincide with Ben's 40th Birthday but as it was also our 15 year anniversary this year (2014) and so will be nearly 16 years of wedded bliss (ok, of being married - its not all been plain sailing). Here is us on our wedding day - cutting the cake. Now there is a story in itself - one for another time.
So what better time to give our kids the experience of a lifetime...
That's us and them (Joshua nearly 6 and Lala nearly 4). The kids are very excited about the trip!
We intend to drive what is left of Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles, via of course Las Vegas to renew our Wedding Vows in front of the King himself, Mr Elvis Aaron Presley.
With so much weirdness along the way there should be lots to see, from Muffler Men, to a whole host of the "Worlds Largest" as well as the endless wonder Mother Nature from the Coloured Desert to the Grand Canyon.
Itininary looks like this:
- Chicago, Illinois
- Springfield, Illinois - Birth Place of Abraham Lincoln
- St.Louis, Missouri
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Okhaloma City, Oklahoma
- Amarillo, Texas
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Holbrook, Arizona - Wigwam Hotel...
- Winslow, Arizona - Yup as in the Eagles song ;-)
- Grand Canyon, Arizona
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Death Valley, California
- Santa Monica, California
Trip of a life time....
So, if you want to join us on our quest, you can. At least by proxy.
For a small donation we will share with you our journey and all the oddities and cool things that we see. See it all without all the driving about inbetween.
So, if you donate:
- £5 we will send you a personalised email that will review our trip and send you photos of the cool and weird things we saw as a Thank You.
- £15 we will send you a personalised email that will review our trip and send you photos of the cool and weird things we saw. Plus a PDF version of the book when its ready to be published.
- £25 gets you a email per city detailing what we have seen, photos and stories. Plus a PDF version of the book when its ready to be published.
- £100 Get you the above, plus a hard copy photo of use renewing our Vows in front of the King. Sent directly to you. Plus a PDF version of the book when its ready to be published.
- £500 or more the above, plus will get 2 lucky people to attend the Renew of our Vows in Las Vegas at the Graceland Chapel we'll even shout Dinner after the service. (Transport and Accomodation not included). Plus a PDF version of the book when its ready to be published.
Thank you very much for visiting this site and we hope you will donate!