Seeing a family member in pain is heartbreaking, doesn’t matter if it is a human or animal family member. Having to go through surgery can and is very stressful…having a child/fur baby go through surgery can be even worse. What if something happens? What if something goes wrong? What should I expect after the surgery? What will the healing process be like? Will my loved one be in pain? These were just a few of the questions I asked myself and our vet prior to Toffy’s enucleation surgery. I spent weeks researching online and found a lot of technical information, but didn’t find very many personal experiences and information regarding the ongoing and long-term costs, so i decided it would be best to open a Gogetfunding campaign, share Leo’s story and daily progress, in hopes that it would serve as an easy way to receive funds and share updates from and to various friends I contact.
Toffy is a very happy, healthy and active 6 months old cat. Toffy has never had any medical issues, well, an ear infection now and then, but nothing major. On October 2nd I arrived home from work to find that Toffy had something very wrong with her right eye. Upon an emergency visit to the vet i learned that she had what was called an anterior luxation (to learn more I found this site very helpful: http://www.eyevet.ca/luxlens.html). This anterior luxation caused an acute onset of glaucoma because it blocked the flow of Toffy’s eye fluids and was causing pressure. We treated her eye with 2 different kinds of eye drops (Pred Acetate 1% drops & Dorzolamide 2%…the first was a steroid to help with pain and the second is a glaucoma medication to help with the eye pressure). the vet explained that the drops would help for a while, but were not a long-term fix, he also explained that they could work for a few months or weeks and that eventually they would not help as her condition progressed. Am doing a daily meetup at work and a nearby fundraiser center to help with Toffy’s surgery costs and as soon as we reach our goal Toffy’s surgery will be scheduled. During last 2 weeks between diagnosis and fundraising starting, Toffy’s eye was stable at first, but then did get much worse. Her right eye was clearly larger than her left, she struggled to keep it open, it was filling with blood, it was pressure/touch sensitive, he was tearing excessively, and Toffy could not see with that eye at all. Toffy loves the sunshine and was not allowed to lay or play in it as it made her eye much worse. She wanted to play, but if she got bumped she would yelp and run to me out of pain. I am very blessed to have such wonderful people to try and help donate to Toffy’s surgery so that she could get in to the vet and get the surgery done before being in more pain.