Hello my niece’s name is Nyla and she is a wrestler!
Nyla began wrestling at the age of 6 as she was always in the practice room watching her dad coach her brother and other kids. Now she wrestles because she loves the sport. It has taught her many life skills such as, hard work, dedication as well, it have given her the self-confidence that she uses in other areas of her life. In addition to wrestling, Nyla has also been playing competitive (rep) soccer since she was 8 years old. Although Nyla enjoys playing soccer, her heart is with wrestling and her goal is to represent Canada at the Olympics.
Nyla competes both at the high school and club level. At the club level, Nyla wrestles for Team Impact Wrestling Club which is located in Ajax, Ontario. Over the past 9 years wrestling has taken her all over Canada as well as across the US. Nyla is an 8x Ontario Youth Provincial and National Champion in freestyle wrestling. In addition to being part of Team Impact, Nyla also represents the Michigan Girls Wrestling Club at a number of US wrestling tournaments. In fact, Nyla is 2x “All American Medalist” placing Third at the 2016 & 2017 USA Wrestling Girl's National Folkstyle Championships.
Recently Nyla won the 65kg weight class at the 2017 Cadet Canadian Wrestling Championships as well as the Canadian Women’s Cadet Team Trials. By winning the Women’s Cadet Trials, she has earned the right to represent Canada at the 2017 Cadet Pan-American Championships in Buenos Aires, Argentina in July as well as possibly the 2017 Cadet World Championships in Athens, Greece in September. Nyla is really excited about making the National team as this was one of her five wrestling goals she set for this year.
Unfortunately due to funding limitations by the national sport governing body, Wrestling Canada Lutte (WCL), participation in the Pan-American and World Championships is self-funded. In addition to the cost of traveling to these competitions, there will be a number of pre-tournament training camps and other tournaments that Nyla will need to attend in order to get ready for these high level competitions. The related cost for her participation and preparation will be roughly $8000.00 to $10,000.00. Due to this high cost, her parents are unable to cover the full amount as they have sacrificed a lot to get her to this point.
I'm seeking your assistance to help relieve some of the financial challenges that she is facing as a self-funded athlete. Your donation, will help her gain valuable experience from the 2017 Pan-American Championships and possibly the World Championships which she will use on and off the mat, as she continues on her journey to one day representing Team Canada at the Olympics.
Listed below are Nyla’s 2017 club level wrestling accomplishments
- Mat Man Classic Cadet Division – 1st (64kg)
- Ontario Juvenile Championships – 1st (64kg)
- Canadian Cadet Championships – 1st (64kg)
- Canadian UWW Cadet Team Trails – 1st (64kg)
- Barrie Open, Girls High School Division – 1st (64kg)
- Team Ontario Canada Games Trials - 1st (64kg)
- Cambria County Fall Brawl Girls Open: Johnstown, Pennsylvania - 1st (139 lbs.)
- War of the Roses Michigan Points Series Montague, Michigan - 1st (142 lbs.)
- Gotham City Girls Cadet Division: New York, New York - 1st (142 lbs.)
- Gotham City Girls Junior Division: New York, New York – 2nd (139 lbs.)
- USA Girls Folkstyle Preseason Nationals: Davenport, Iowa – 2nd (139 lbs.)
- War of the Roses Michigan Girls State Championships: Fenton, Michigan – 2nd (144-150 lbs.)
- Mohawk Valley International Wrestling Festival: Syracuse, New York – 2rd (137lbs)
- War of the Roses Michigan Points Series: Mont Morris, Michigan – 2nd (155lbs.)
- USA Wrestling Girl’s Cadet Folkstyle Nationals: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – 3rd Place (137lbs)
Every little bit will help towards my goal in assisting Nyla and her parents.
Thank you for your support.