€635.00raised of €112,200.00 goal goal
No more donations are being accepted at this time. Please contact the campaign owner if you would like to discuss further funding opportunities
We get so wrapped up in numbers in our society. And... the most important thing is that we are able to be one-on-one... you and I... with each other... at the moment.
Mr. (Fred) Rogers (1994 on Charlie Rose)
Hi, my name is Ivana.
I came to the farming village of Gornje Selo on the island of Šolta a few years ago to renovate an old traditional stone housing complex – a small house (then a ruin), a barn, a little „summer“ kitchen and the adjoining courtyard.
I fell in love with the place and the villagers. And, set out to make something out of this little piece of the world that:
- honors the craftsmanship and resourcefulness of the peasant architects
- reminds us of the timeless in our shared stories
- holds a space for us to connect one with another
- inspires us to use our hands and minds in service to the more beautiful world our hearts know is possible (1)
The renovation was done using traditional building materials like stone, clay and wood. We were lucky to be able to get excellent stonemasons and a master carpenter (who all live right in this village) to do the work on this project.
The gathering space was furnished with items found at:
- the dump, a.k.a. IKEA Šolta
- my grandmother´s place in Split
- Reto Centar - a sort of local "habitat for humanity" shop working to support recovery from addiction
This little property has become a place for neighbors and visitors to step back in time, relax, reminisce, share their life stories, celebrate and inspire each other. People are frequently stopping by with freshly baked strudels, fruits and vegetables from their gardens and advice on anything from proper roofing techniques to the best time to sow fava beans. It has hosted birthdays, engagements and anniversary celebrations.
Here we produced the first CD of traditional Dalmatian songs for the island´s men´s singing group Sotto Voce. Shucked countless peas. Sorted capers. Pulled baskets full of calendula petals. Planted a traditional edible garden. Upcycled old linens into curtains, aprons and lampshades. Repaired and revitalized old lighting fixtures. Fixed and reupholstered unwanted chairs. Laid hundreds of stones. Sheltered traveling craftspeople inspired to leave their mark. Received donations of beautiful handwork for display. And so much more.
We want to continue being an integral part of this village for a long time to come. Holding space for connecting, sharing and creating beauty... together.
Unfortunately, the majority owner would now like to cash out. Our gathering space will be gutted, redone as a summer rental and put on the market by winter's end unless we can come up with 112,200 euros (2).
I know... It's a big number... But let us not get wrapped up in numbers...
... I see your heart. I know you will do whatever you are able to to help us continue manifesting the more beautiful world our hearts know is possible
So... thank you for holding the possibility of this initiative as a reality...
... whether you are gifting(3) your extra money, connecting us with like minded folks or simply cheering the project on... deepest of gratitude for shining your light on our work.
We look forward to sharing the fruits of our labor(4). With you... in person... ako bog da (God willing).
(1) this video on Charles Eisenstein's work beautifully captures the principles that guide this space. Give yourself this gift. It just might be the most inspirational virtual 35min you'll have today. And, sign up for his newsletter! His essays are love letters to humanity. All humanity.
(2) 155,100 total needed incl. 8,300 fundr. fees
- 42,900 donated by me
112,200 remains... we can do it!
(3) 5,000€ Reward
Escape to the communal past...
- Bake and break bread with us
- Lend a hand in our daily work
- Take strolls through our charming village, olive groves and bays
- Shower in the old wine barrel
- Sleep in open loft bed right above the gathering space (see photos)
- Relax by the open fire with us
- 1 week between Jan 28 - Mar 18, 2022
- Friday 17:30 - following Friday 11:00
... Be a part of our project in real life.
To book & donate:
- Email [email protected] with Subject: ESCAPE (begining friday of week you wish to book)
- I will respond to your query with all pertinent travel details
- Once we confirm the dates...
- You will have 12hrs to complete booking by making your donation
(4) We are busy repurposing discarded treasures from "IKEA Šolta", painting pictures, planting peas and fava beans, making olive oil soap and salvaging old textiles into gifts that we cannot wait to share.
PS Stonemasons and carpenters, your fellow craftsmen on the island have 2 year waiting lists. We want to help... by offering up two semiprivate loft beds for work trade... I'm thinking 2 hrs/day. Can be lumped. Food separate. Send me your story if you are interested.
PPS I know this is rather long, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't acknowledge...
Igor, who introduced me to this village
Gordana, who showed me the way even though she herself was not able to follow it
Brian, who picked up all the slack back in the US
Maya and Luka, who remained open despite long months of separation
Damir, who believed in me even though it was quite a challenge at times
Christina, who held an impartial space for him throughout
My friends, who held my hand through the many dramas
My dear neighbors who tirelessly cheered, advised, fed, shared their stories and celebrated with me
Ivo and his team, who humored me enough to make this dream a reality
The many craftsmen that generously gifted their skills and time to this vision
The residents whose unwanted old household items remind us that some things were made to last
The sun, the Adriatic sea, the stones and the olive trees
And, especially, to our ancestors who stone-by-stone created beautiful, timeless shelters in perfect harmony with nature.
Hand written thank you by post
Gratitude and Happy SpringUpdate posted by Ivana Kadija at 02:43 pm
Thank you to everyone who supported this effort. And to the many of youwho were not able to donate because the site would not accept your mode of payment. It was a shot in the dark, admittedly. As many of you know i am not much of a social media. . . . .
Donors & Comments
Create a support campaign in seconds!
Support campaigns allow you to get your own fundraising page dedicated to 'Help us save this gathering space'
You'll have your own unique link that you can share, and all funds raised will go directly to 'Help us save this gathering space'. It's the ultimate way to show your support!Create support campaign