Hi there. My name is Kem, and I am 23 this year. I would like to start by explaining my dream.
I've always had interest in arts and design ever since I was young, and usually sought to excel in the artistic subjects while trying to keep up in the norms subjects like mathematics and sciences. I was never good at those, but tried my best nevertheless in order to maintain at least a passable grade so that I could get into a good pre-university course and pave a career path.
Unfortunately when my olevels was revealed, it was to my disappointment that I was unable to meet the requirements for admission to a government approved pre-university course. Not wanting to give up, I looked for a part time job to help with my family's aid and in order to save up for a retake of the examinations the following year after. It was once again a failure, and unable to spend more of my savings for a retest, I eventually gave up hopes on pursuing a future study.
Private courses were impossible at that time, because not only were they much much more costly than government schools, I also had to balance my part time job in order to support my family.
Bringing forward to the recent years, I'm 22 now, turning 23 in a few.
Was approached by my current employment company with a chance for partial sponsorship through a government subsidy. The grant would cover at least 40% of the course fees, to which the other 60% would be paid in advance by my company on my behalf. The deal was that I only had to slowly pay off the remaining course fees with a part of my monthly wage, and that I was to be under work contract for the duration of my entire course.
Extremely elated with given the great opportunity to further pursue my dreams, I took up the offer.
However recently, the government subsidy has now come back as denied, and the company was unable to get the grant for me which leaves me with a debt of at least $13,000.
As I am currently my family's main breadwinner, and we're barely making ends every month , it would be impossible for me to be able to fork out this huge amount of money at such a short notice.
I've tried requesting to the school for a refund of the remaining 9/10 modules that I've yet to attend, but they have denied the request, stating that it is under contract that no refunds were allowed, even if I were to withdraw from the unused modules.
Thus, it is to my last resort that I have turned to gofundme for assistance.
I understand that this might pale in comparison to the other great campaigns that are here to aid so many of those in need.. but I hope that I can get some assistance..as I really do need help from anyone who is able to offer :(
Thank you for taking the time to read my story.