For kids growing up in the villages of North Eastern Thailand, a lifetime of poverty is a reality. We've thought long and hard about how to make a long-term sustainable real impact in these places, where the problems are the highest and chances are lowest.
Faced with a lack of development, extremely poor education, and often drug problems too - those who get into sport are considered the lucky ones. It provides a focus, a skill, and a way of making money.
But, more often than not there is nowhere to train, no equipment to use, or trainers to learn from.
We are planning to change this. We will build a training gym for Muay Thai to support young underprivileged people in these villages. It will be a place for these boys and girls to go, which will provide a roof over their heads, the opportunity to socialise, learn discipline, develop skills, build self-esteem and most of all - the chance to believe in a better future, something we believe everyone deserves.
To do so, we need to raise HKD$100,000. Our target is to achieve the first $50,000 by April, which will allow us to kickstart the project and invest in the essentials:
- Funding a local temple fight night - the first opportunity for young people to participate
- Building the gym structure with a roof
- Constructing the boxing ring
- Buying boxing bags for training
To give you an idea of where the money will go:
- HK$30,000 will cover the cost of building the roofed structure (£3,000)
- HK$15,000 will pay for the construction of the boxing ring (£1,500)
- HK$1500 will buy one boxing bag (£150)
- HK$1000 will support a young Thai fighter through his/her preparation for the fight (£100)
Go to our website to read Pele's story and more about our ambitions here
"Muay Thai is my life. It gave me a chance to have a future and I want to create the same opportunity for others" - Pele S
Any donation to help us reach our target is appreciated, no matter how big or small - it will make a difference to someone who has nothing.