I haven't shared anything about Cooper's recent illness until now, although many are aware. He was hospitalized at Riley Hospital for Children for 14 days and was on a ventilator for 9 of those days. He had respiratory and multi-organ system failure, and was in shock. His doctors prepared us that he might not recover, and if he did recover he would most likely have permanent lung damage and not resume a "normal" life. Cooper's illness progressively worsened for several days. After a multitude of tests checking for infection, rare rheumatologic diseases, and immunodeficiency and a variety of extremely skilled physicians were consulted, Cooper was diagnosed and treated for hypersensitivity pneumonitis caused by VAPING. Our smart, strong, healthy boy nearly lost his life at 16 years of age due to poor choices that so many teens and young adults are making. Parents: Pay attention! Be aware and ask questions. Do whatever it takes to break the nicotine addiction. Educate your children before they make the choice to vape. No parent should have to feel the helplessness we felt.
We are blessed beyond measure that Cooper has recovered so quickly and has exceeded expectations. Thank you for all of the prayers, calls, and texts. Prayers appreciated for continued lung healing.