Sept 1st Deadline - Our new trimester starts!
I am raising money to add some amazing resources and materials to the library at Portland Youth Builders. I would love to be able to offer students the following items:
- A single Macbook for storing the library's book, audio and video inventory using "Delicious Library" http://delicious-monster.com/ ($1200) - the students will be able to use this to find new titles to read, audiobooks for guided reading. Delicious Library allows them to check books and resources out and turn them in on their own.
- A site license with http://www.visualthesaurus.com/ ($350) - this is a website that creates a visual diagram of synonyms and antonyms. It also keeps a running log or rolodex of new vocabulary words, helping the students expand their writing and comprehension.
- Student subscriptions to NYTimes Upfront Interactive Magazine http://upfront.scholastic.com/ (30 students @ $10/per student = $300) - This is an online and print magazine filled with information about current events that is directly tied to the new Common Core learning standards for Reading and Writing.
- New books for all reading levels covering a wide range of diversity and culture, along with their accompanied audiobooks for assisted reading ($1000) - Sometimes we need more than one copy for more than one student.
- A site license to http://www.ixl.com/ for math support and improvement. ($600) - IXL keeps a student record of well explained practice problems from basic math through advanced algebra.
I will be participating in Portland's annual Color Run http://thecolorrun.com/portland/ and posting photos of my hilarious, color smattered embarrassment as a sign of gratitude for your generosity. I will also be posting before and after photos of the resource room's library as we make improvements.
These are great students taking a second shot at empowering themselves and contributing to the work force. It would mean so much if you could offer just a little to help out.