US$6,054.00raised of $15,000.00 goal goal
About Bageecha and The Director
Bageecha (meaning 'garden' in Hindi) is the story of an aged gardener who has made a humble life for himself and his family growing exotic plants in rich, suburban homes in LA. His world is turned upside down when his son is killed for stealing from a local drug lord.
- Bageecha is the story of a simple family with human desires living way below their means, trying to find material solace in an unfair, corrupt society. Om has let go of a dishonorable past of drug peddling, but discovers that his son, Veer has taken after him behind his back to ultimately be killed for it. In its essence, the film is a display of privilege v/s poverty and how our present day, capitalistic society isn’t made for the low wage worker in a first world country. The rich will keep getting richer and the poor will ultimately vanquish - in spirit and existence. A tragedy of life.
- This story and film is important to me because we as a species are capable of oneness and I believe cinema with a painfully real message will remind us that no matter who we are and where we are from, we all feel the same pain when we lose someone we love.
- Shilpa Johar is a filmmaker, writer and a certified counselling psychologist who has a passion for storytelling and philanthropy. She began her publishing career at the age of 17 with a weekly column where she shared insights that caused much noise as they did introspection. She quickly learnt about the power of using her voice and applied it in her internships with big name media houses. Her first job was that of an artist manager in Mumbai and she gained the necessary skills to not only manage talent and large sums of money, but also understand the business aspects of running a creative show. Coming from a philanthropic upbringing, she has spent a major portion of her childhood and adult life volunteering at shelters, orphanages, animal welfare organisations and old age homes; something she still does actively. As a student filmmaker, she has already won awards and gained recognition for her debutante film Nange Pair and she continues to fulfil her thirst for cosmic knowledge, wholesome cinematic storytelling and someday, achieve auteur status.
What We Need & What You Get
Breaking it down for you folks in more detail:
- This is a 3 day shoot in March 2022 and accounts for a cast and crew of upto 20 people who each have been given a specific role and whose time and skills contribute to making Bageecha come to life.
- Locations, locations, locations really do take the cake! Especially when you're shooting in the city of Hollywood itself - this accounts for a majority of the budget. The remaining is divided between making the set look realistic with Production Design, props, wardrobe for actors, arranging for delicious and healthy craft services and catering for 20 pax X 3 days so the crew stays motivated and of course equipment rentals, the truck that carries it, travel for cast and crew and location permits.
- If you donate $10 your participation and energy will be deeply appreciated.
- If you donate $50 you will receive a shout-out on Bageecha's social media page upon commencement of production.
- If you donate $100 you will receive a special thanks credit in the film's final cut.
- If you donate $500 you will receive Associate Producer Credit on Bageecha's IMDB, social media and festival runs along with a signed movie poster shipped straight to you.
- If you donate $1000 or more, you will receive Executive Producer Credit on Bageecha's IMDB, social media and festival runs along with a digital signed movie poster shipped straight to you.
Here's a little bit more about my campaign and the difference your contribution will make:
- As with all my initiatives, 5% of total collected funds and any amount that exceeds the estimated budget will be donated to 3 charities that I have personally worked with over the years in my hometown Bangalore, India - C.A.R.E (animal adoption and rehabilitation shelter), RVM Foundation (shelter for homeless and destitute adults with special needs) and Gerizim Mission (orphanage for mentally challenged children and teenagers)
- After a successful run with my other films in the festival circuit, I have plans of taking Bageecha much further and to greater heights with an excellent crew and cast on board.
- This is a short term contribution to a long term dream that you and your energy will have connections to forever. Film, like the soul is infinite.
Risks & Challenges
I value transparency and I'd like to take this opportunity to be open and share some insight into the risks and obstacles that I may face on the way to achieving this goal.
- Due to the pandemic and the changes we have had to quickly adjust to over the last year, many measures are being taken to maintain set safety and general health guidelines are in effect.
- The holistic and mental wellbeing of my cast and and crew is my utmost priority. Having said that, extra measures are being taken from my end to arrange for sanitisation stations, health packets including masks, personal water bottles, gloves, personal sanitisers etc. that will be provided to all 20 cast and crew members.
- 10% contingencies is included in the estimated budget in the case of unaccounted for expenses that may come up over the course of pre-production. As elaborated above, amounts collected over and above will be donated, details of which will be emailed to each of you once post-production is complete.
Other Ways You Can Help
It's okay if can't contribute, but you can still help:
- PLEASE spread the word and make some noise about this campaign! Each and every bit of your donation counts; whether $10 or even a simple share and shout out.
If you have made it this far into reading about the campaign, I thank you for your time!
With deep gratitude,
- Ryan Payne
- Campaign Owner
TRAILER RELEASE - BAGEECHAUpdate posted by Shilpa Johar at 10:08 am
Click here to watch it first at 4:05am PST on 10/25/2022: https://youtu.be/tkIbQ0-2pf4