What we do
Four Paws is a registered NPO (Non-Profit Organisation), established in July 2006
To improve the quality of life of underprivileged animals. In our urban surroundings, the main categories are: squatter camp animals and feral cats.
WHAT FOUR PAWS IS ABOUT
- Squatter Camp Projects
- Feral Projects
The problems with our underprivileged animals are:
- Malnutrition, insufficient shelter & a lack of food and water.
- Animals become sick and injured and there is no medical care available. Animals get knocked over by cars on the roads, because there are no fences. Dogs are put on chains mainly due to a lack of education.
- Animals are multiplying uncontrollably because there are no sterilisation programmes.
- Communicable diseases like distemper, parvo, snuffles, etc. are spreading, because animals are not vaccinated.
- Unwanted animals, especially litters of puppies and kittens, due to overpopulation.
What we do:
- Dipping and de-worming to prevent internal and external parasites.
- Intensive sterilisation campaigns to prevent overpopulation and straying of animals over the roads in mating seasons.
- Removal of unwanted animals and re-homing to suitable homes.
- Vaccination to prevent deadly diseases.
- Veterinary treatment for injuries and diseases.
- Education about proper pet care.
- Humane euthanasia of terminally ill animals.
- Confiscation of animals where intentional cruelty occurs
October 2006: We treated this dog who’s neck was badly cut by a chain that was too tight and managed to find a very good home for her.
At Four Paws we care about all animals… We rescued a baby goat and a chicken, running over busy roads, on two separate occasions.Both were obviously lost, as we couldn’t find any of their own species around. They are now in good hands where they will not end up on the dinner table!