“Your dream in a shoot” is a project which aims to capture and preserve vulnerable children’s’ dreams with the aim of creating a historic record for the personal use of the child as well as mobilize funds for this vulnerable children using photo stories.
To achieve social goals, this project focuses on Capturing and preserving vulnerable children dreams with the main purpose of creating a historic record for the personal use of the child. We believe that an excellent photography has potential to effect change, make a difference, and expand a viewer's field of vision. Through our project, we want to give the children the opportunity to discover their potential (via non-formal activities), take a time to dream, and talk about it. We also believe that this project will raise awareness among viewers by bringing them into vulnerable and orphans world via our photos.
Evidence shows that many children in sub-Saharan Africa are orphaned and destitute because of sickness, hunger or conflict and are left without a secure environment and mostly are placed in vulnerable situations. These children are in need of love, care and affection which most people around are too busy to offer them. The drive to see these young leaders of tomorrow given an opportunity to thrive and achieve their full potential has inspired the project to see this dreams realized through photography.
“Your dream in a shoot” is confident that by providing attention and mental stimulation that these children need to develop healthy social skills and self-confidence, we will make a huge impact.
- Give voice to the voiceless. Document precious life’s moment by giving opportunity to the vulnerable children and orphans to speak about their dreams.
- Raise awareness. By focusing on bringing viewers into the world of the vulnerable children and orphans, we intend to open the eyes of the world to the fact that vulnerable children and orphans are in lack of love, attention and support.
- Bring light. Documentary photography will show us things we do not want to look. This is not done for shock value, but to inspire viewers to work toward the vulnerable children and orphans world where dreams are achieved.
We plan on running various activities such as:
- Photo shoots – providing portrait and activities photographs to the children
- Hold interactive sessions with the children – Through discussions/activities with the beneficiaries. This will help to know their individual dreams and write a story
- Provide photo albums to the orphanage an album “My dream” creating a record of their dreams with the fidelity of their words. This will include a Portrait of each child with their dreams written as well as few activity photos important to them.
- Art and craft – Work with a local NGO and teach the kids art and craft (pottery, print t-shirts…)
We are planning to implement this project in Burundi, Bujumbura for a period of 3 months with two selected orphanages. We will be targeting 30 kids from each orphanage. With the support of other youth volunteers, we will use our various competencies to implement the activities planned.
Following various visits to orphanages in Kenya and Rwanda, hardly could we find any portraits or scrap books of the children living in this homes, yet in every able household photos are in abundance and are used to relive events occurring in the growth of these children. This led the project to exploring ways of using photography to tell the stories of this children.
Through our work, we intend to give voice to the voiceless, generate a historic record of significant moments of their life experiences as we open up their life experiences and expectations to the world hence attracting support for them to achieve their dreams..