NOTICE: Donations are always accepted here. However, you are invited to our more comprehensive webpage at Rusinga Island Children's Fund .
Rusinga Island is located in western Kenya, on Lake Victoria, in eastern Africa, and it is one of the few places in the world most heavily affected by the AIDS virus, by malaria, tuberculosis, typhoid fever, and many other illnesses. Dire poverty means that there is little money for food or for medical care, especially for the many children orphaned or partially orphaned by AIDS. There are no orphanages on the Island.
The children who will benefit are disabled and many of them are full or partial orphans. Those who have a parent or guardian are destitute and unable to pay for school fees.
A child in school has food and medical care. Education is said to be “free” in Kenya, yet the fees required for students for primary and secondary/high school are beyond the hopes and dreams of even the hardest working families. A child has no opportunity to move beyond the terrible poverty except through education. A disabled child has no chance at all.
There is hope! You can help to rescue a child in need.
The purpose of this fund is to give the neediest children on Rusinga Island an opportunity to attend school, where they will be given food and medical care.
Who We Are
Rebecca and David Rowson -- returned US Peace Corps volunteers, on Rusinga Island a full year as teachers. We are committed to the children of Rusinga Island. We pay the school fees directly to the school under a particular child's name.
How To Rescue a Child
You may wish to sponsor a child for a full year of school, or you may give any amount toward that goal. Your gift of any amount helps to rescue a child in need.
2013 Example School Fees for Entire Year (with food!)
- Nyamuga Special School for the Disabled (primary) -- 9,000 KSH = approx. $106
- Lambwe Christian School for the Deaf -- 11,000 KSH = approx. $126
- Joyland School for the Disabled, Kisumu (high school) -- 30,000 KSH – approx. $353 There are still 7 more children who dream of going to this high school but have no money to go.
How Can I Contribute?
1. Online -- please use button to Donate. 96% of every dollar goes directly to children in need when you pay online.
2. By Check -- to "Rusinga Island Children's Fund" -- please send to address below, where it will be deposited into a USA account for ready access in Kenya. 100% of every dollar goes directly to a child in need. Please specify use or "as needed" for the children.
Rebecca Rowson, 500 Westover Drive #6564, Sanford NC 27330
Contact information: [email protected]
Your gift of any size for a precious child in need will bring you untold blessings. Thank you!