Hey! My name is Maya and I am 5 years old. I live in the Netherlands together with my family. I'm a Maltese . Until now, I was a joyful doggy, loving long walks and rubbing my belly.
Everything had changed a week ago when I suddenly felt bad, I didn't want to eat or play ... When I started to vomit and got diarrhea with blood, my terrified parents immediately took me to the vet. The vet gave me an injection (it hurt a bit but I was brave), I got medicines and returned home. Unfortunately, despite the treatment, my condition has not improved, I still did not want to eat. We went again to see the vet. This time I was given a blood test and a tummy ultrasound. No major deviations were found, so Imy family was told to continue with medicines and to try to feed me. On the night of 19/20 November my condition worsened considerably. I could not sleep anymore .. my tummy was hard and swollen. I suffered a lot. My family took me to the vet again, there I was told to stay a few hours for observation, they've made an ultrasound again and I was given one more blood test.
When my family came for me, it turned out that I had to urgently go to the animal clinic in Amsterdam (Medisch Centrum voor Dieren). My tummy ached so much that it was hard to even perforrm an ultrasound..In the hospital doctors made further examination and immediately on Tuesday, November 20, I went to the operating table where I had a laparotomy. In the belly I had oil-like fluid, peritonitis , doctors also made a colectomy /partial removal of the large intestine. Colectomy was necessary because the descending colonel was significantly widened and was bleeding, its wall was also very thin and the food content escaped from the intestine into the abdominal cavity. After surgery I should have feel better but unfortunately, I do not feel better. I'm still apathetic, I don't want to eat. So I got another blood test, which showed that I have very little protein level in my blood, which is not a good prognosis after having a colectomy. Doctors have decided to give me a transfusion of plazma from another dog. We don't know whether it will help me, but my family does not want to give up ...
The costs of treatment in the Netherlands are very high, and my family's options are unfortunately limited.. We do not have pet insurance..
At the moment, the costs of treatment already taken in the clinic are around 4000 euro and are still growing. Not to mention the treatment before surgery. We do not have such resources .. :(
That's why I am asking you for help, I want to live and come back home to my family, who is very worried about me. They are afraid that becouse of financial reasons tehy will not be able to save me.
Please help support this lifesaving mission! ANY LITTTLE BIT HELPS, even a forward or a share.
Thank You from the bottom of our hearts,
Maya with her familly.