The project name: Providing medical needs for people with paralysis and disabilities
Project nature: preventive
Implementation authority: Al Salama Association
Implementation place: Governorates of the Gaza Strip
The number of beneficiaries: 5 persons
Target group: Wounded and disabled in the Gaza Strip governorates
The Objective of the project Providing medicines and medical supplies for a number of wounded and disabled persons
The period of implementation: 3 months
The Gaza Strip has suffered from a severe siege, for several years, mainly in the closure of the crossings, which has exacerbated poverty and unemployment, and exacerbated the health problems of many of the population in this region, which is one of the most densely populated in the world. After the recent aggression on the Gaza Strip in July 2014, which left a difficult humanitarian crisis, leaving thousands of victims and wounded, disabled, homeless and orphans.
According to WHO, the number of persons with disabilities reached 97,200 persons, according to the results of the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics with 6.7% of the total population. The number of disabled persons reached 34020, constituting 35% of the total disability.
As for the wounded, the number of wounded since 2000 has exceeded 45,000 in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, leaving permanent physical disabilities in more than 6,000 of the injured, 14% of the total, and most of them young.
The recent aggression on the Gaza Strip (July 2014) added much to the suffering of this group. The number of persons with disabilities increased significantly, with more than 11,200 wounded during the days of aggression, in addition to the resulting cases of amputation due to medical complications Medical efforts to treat their injuries, and the inability to transfer them to treatment abroad as a result of the severe siege imposed on the strip, and all this is added to the number of disabilities due to injuries and natural accidents and those resulting from birth defects and natural disabilities (congenital).
Definition of the Project
Persons with disabilities constitute 6.7% of the total population of the Gaza Strip. The number of injured persons registered with the Al Salama association was 18882, of whom 2038 were disabled. The number of persons with paralysis was 278, constituting 13.6% suffering from a lack of services provided to them as a result of the siege imposed on the Gaza Strip, with the daily increase in the number of Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip, forcing many people with disabilities to face their disability alone and without the support of the family or local institutions, As the conditions of life in s The Gaza Strip is full of barriers that are unsuitable for the disabled to integrate into the community. There are no suitable transportation means, no public places, not even suitable houses, in addition to a lack of psychological and health care, aids and delays in providing services, making them difficult to rehabilitate and integrate into society.
Health rehabilitation is one of the most important types of rehabilitation for people with disabilities after injury. It is considered one of the highest and most effective means of integrating them into society. After permanent disability, health functions and skills are limited and restricted despite having the determination and sufficient energy to achieve achievement and creativity. They are suffering from the weakness of their health and rehabilitation bodies, which qualifies them in proportion to the societal need for the Palestinian local market and the potential of the community, taking into consideration the type of disability and its available and remaining possibilities in order to strength and develop them.
In addition to the difficult economic situation of persons with disabilities, the idea of providing medical needs for people with disabilities in the Gaza Strip governorates, which aims to provide medicines and medical supplies to 142 disabled paralyzed people, those who need them permanently or temporarily, which contributes to alleviating some of the economic burdens of the disabled, especially in light of the difficult economic conditions experienced by the Palestinian society
The project goals
- Contributing in reducing the suffering of paralysis patients (142 cases) by providing them with medicines, medical supplies, diapers and the necessary aids for one year.
- Providing the wounded with rehabilitation aids to enable them to move.
- Enhancing confidence between the wounded and the disabled, on one hand, and between the sponsors and supporters on the other hand.
- Helping the wounded in accepting the new condition after the injury, adapting them, and supporting their integration into society.
- Upgrading the rehabilitation services offered by Al Salama Association for the wounded of the Gaza Strip.
- Reducing the suffering of some people with disabilities and the wounded by alleviating the economic burden on the families of these wounded and disabled people through these free services.
- Lack of access to the needs of people with disabilities on medicines and medical supplies, which causes an increase in the claim of this group from Al Salama of need to provide them continuously and adequately.
- The urgent need to provide medicines and medical supplies for people with disabilities, where the Al Salama Charity Association to provide 142 people with disabilities.
- The existence of a significant lack of care and follow-up required by local and international authorities for the wounded, disabled and their dependents.
- Deterioration of political and security conditions, which negatively affected the wounded and disabled.
- The low level of family income under difficult economic conditions, where the poverty rate reached 70%, which led to the inability to meet many of the daily life requirements of the wounded and disabled. Lack of health and psychological care for the wounded and disabled, which has made it difficult to rehabilitate them and integrate them into society.