My name is Saima Towhida Hassan. I am a Bangladeshi student, living in Oman under family resident visa as my father had his own business here of building materials sales.
In the year 2014, I joined Caledonian College of Engineering as a BSc. Chemical Engineering student. Since my first semester in college and throughout the engineering programme, I was able to ace the academics. Throughout the first 5 semesters (out of a total 8 semesters) of my education in Caledonian College of Engineering, I have regularly paid my tuition fees that was in total greater than 8000 OMR.
Unfortunately, during my fifth semester, towards the end of the year 2016, my father’s business started to experience a downfall and I was unable to keep the tuition fees regular anymore.
“After withholding my Chemical Engineering Bachelor’s degree certificate for 3 years because of some due tuition fees, the college wants to take legal actions on my father to collect their payment. My father is already a heart patient and this situation is risking his safety badly. But my family has no financial capacity to make any payment now and we are already in large amounts of debts. To recover from this situation, to retrieve my academic certificate from the college and to overcome the ordeal of legal actions on my father, I am in high need of financial support. Your little support can make a large change for us. “"Please help me collect my certificate, so that I can return to my home country, find a work and support my family"
Alternative Method of Supporting:
Saima Towhida Hassan
If you want to verify my situation, contact, GSM: +96896507575
My Financial Details:
Brief highlight on my father’s business situation between the years 2016 to 2018:
- This period of time was of extreme struggle for my entire family as my father was restlessly trying to revive his business somehow that unfortunately was not possible.
- My father had invested a huge amount of his personal finance in the business, and because of the sudden decision of selling the properties from the sponsors, my father had lost the entire asset he invested in that business.
Earning source of my family since the year 2018:
- Since the year 2018, my father has no business or job, hence my online outsourcing work is the only earning to support my family’s expenses. That often leaves us with pending house rents and external debts to run the home.
- I have been working online as a freelancer since the end of year 2017 onwards. My works involve proofreading and editing thesis papers, writings of articles, essays, making PowerPoint presentations and more. However, the earnings from such works are extremely less and the amounts earned + the number of works in hand highly fluctuate.
- Meanwhile, I have been continuously trying for a job in and outside Oman but due to the omanization policy (to recruit native talents only), all companies I approached in Oman have declined to discuss further with me about job. On the other hand, overseas countries do not consider anyone without proper certificates for the job and my certificate has been withheld by the college.
- Since January, 2020, until February, 2021 I have been working online for a UAE based company to assist them with global market analysis and that is my only regular earning source for the time being. The earning allows me to hardly handle the living expenses in Oman for me and my family. But during the covid pandemic lockdown, my employment was terminated by the company.
My initiatives to obtain external financial support to pay my due tuition fees:
- I have approached the Ministry of Higher Education in Oman in the year 2015 and in 2016, to urge and apply for any scholarship to support my studies. Even though my GPA was greater than 9.00/10 that is more than the criteria of MoHE to provide scholarship to any student but because I am an expat (non – Omani) here, hence they declined me to provide any scholarship. They suggested that their scholarship opportunities are only to support the nationals.
- I have communicated with most private and government banks in my own country Bangladesh, but they too have declined me since I stay out of the country. They have suggested me to go to Bangladesh and can only proceed about the matter after meeting face – to – face and discussing about the collateral. Unfortunately, my earning is not sufficient to obtain a flight ticket and make a visit to Bangladesh with all necessary costs inclusive, so that I could apply for the loan there. And I have no means of making a living in my country as well.
- I have applied to obtain loan from the government of my country to make repayment of my dues to obtain my certificate. Unfortunately, it’s been almost 2 years since my application and even after several tries of follow ups, I got no response of financial aid.
My offered to repay the college through my service:
- I also offered to repay the college through my service, if they feel I am eligible to work at any position in the college whether in academics or administrative area based on my academic and skill records. I am highly confident that I can efficiently perform any job role if given the opportunity by the college thus, serve them with my work as well as repay some amounts of my due fees through my work. But unfortunately, because of the manpower regulations in the country to recruit the native people only at entry levels, I was not appointed in any position by the college.