Macedonia Baptist Church in Kuttawa, KY has partnered with a local missionary minded pastor in the small town of Willy Wood, Guatemala.
We are returning to this area in the summer of 2015 and we are desperately seeking funds to assist this community struggling for basic essentials such as: clean water, medical aid, and clothes/shoes. At that time we will also be working to spread the gospel among the 1,600 people that make up this extremely poor village. We will be partnering with this community on through 2019 - that is why this fundraiser is set up as an ongoing one.
The target we are pushing for currently is to be fully funded for projects 1-3 prior to that 2015 travel date. We want to have the maximum impact possible and are trusting God to provide the funds needed to do what seems impossible for our small church and community. This will not be possible without your generous support. We would ask that you please support this cause to provide life-saving services and supplies into this area.
1. Their community water filtration system is no longer operational and is in need of extensive repairs and/or replacement. This is one of the largest issues facing the community. Without clean water for most of the residents illnesses are flourishing - compounded by lack of even basic sanitation systems.
2. Basic Medical Supplies: Many of the illnesses are easily treated with the proper medicines (often just basic things like triple antibiotic ointment, hydrogen peroxide, oral/intravenous antibiotics, and ibuprofen. Things that we take for granted in the United States - but can mean the difference between life and death in this community. Summer 2014 we were able to help a woman literally dying from a kidney infection that she would have been unable to afford treatments for on her own.
3. Basic clothing articles: Many of the children and adults are barefoot in this community and lack basic needs to protect them from the elements and cuts to their feet that introduce germs/disease.
4. Medical/Sanitation Symposium: We are working towards putting together a medical focused trip for 2016 with at least one medical doctor accompanying us to: teach occupants about proper santitation habits; address health issues; and any other help that we can provide to better equip this community for more than just a week or two (but even after we depart).
5. Church Planting: By 2017 the goal is to begin construction of the church building in this community. While these funds being requested in this fundraiser are not geared for this mission - any overages will be placed in an account to accomplish the mission of the church to aid the people of Willy Wood, Guatemala. This is definitely one critical need as it will serve not just as a conduit for God's word, but also a means of getting future aid out to all those that call Willy Wood home.
Those living in Willy Wood cannot address these issues on their own - these issues will only continue and lead exponentially to greater issues of illness and death. It is currently not uncommon for households to lose between 1 and 3 children to illness already...we want to make this the exception - rather than the rule.
Please help us in our mission to minister to the needs (not just spiritual, but also physical) of this loving and caring community neslted amongst the plantations of Guatemala!!