La Calandria is an alternative school in Vilcabamba, a village located in Ecuador, which was formed almost 10 years ago. It is the only alternative elementary school licensed at Vilcabamba, and offers school grades from Kindergarten until Elementary School (7th Grade).
Our dream is to expand the school so we can accommodate more children from the community of Vilcabamba, who can benefit from the same wonderful alternative education as our current students.
For this reason we are campaigning to raise $7,000 by the end of June 2017, so that we can construct 3 new buildings to accommodate even more students for the school year of 2017/2018.
We have reservations for many children who's parents are eager for them to study at our school, who would greatly appreciate your help to make their dreams of a higher quality, alternative education a reality.
How we will use the money?
- We will build 2 new 30m2 classroom spaces enabling us to receive 20 more children, each receiving the benefit of personalized education with groups of up to 12 children
- We will construct a 70m2 roofed area so the students can perform more outdoor activities such as theater, dance, gymnastics, yoga, acrobatics, regardless of weather conditions (we have a lot of rain in Vilcabamba)
- The buildings are designed with minimal cost minimum construction time, with recycled materials such as pallets and zinc roofs
- Construction will start in July, and will be finished by the end of August
Here are examples of the kind of buildings that can be made using this cheap, and efficient, environmentally friendly and portable technique:
Why expand the school?
Expanding the school will allow us to accept 20 additional pupils. We already have reservations; but do not have space for the new students.
How will we raise the money?
- 25% from parents making large donations of $300 or more
- 25% from parents of students, their family and close friends, contributing 7 donations of $10 per family
- 45% from other kind individuals contributing via this internet campaign
- 5% from activities here in Vilcabamba (i.e. bake sales, fairs, etc)
As you can see, families who attend the school are actively involved in contributing; but the economic situation here makes it very hard for us to cover the entire project. We hope that kind and generous family members and friends of parent's who's children attend the school, or lovers of children, education and an alternative perspective will join us by contributing to help us reach our goal.
Why do we need financial support?
Many of the students and teachers are Europeans and Americans. We know that in our home countries, schools typically ask for $70,000 dollars, not $7,000, which might not be considered that much money. However, the cost of living and therefore wages are much lower here in Ecuador, especially in our small village. For our community $7,000 is a great deal of money.
Transparency and accountability
We appreciate everyone who joins us on our journey to expand the school, and want them to know that their contribution generally counts. As such, we will ensure that we are transparent about how the money contributed is spent, and how the projects are progressing. We will:
- Track the progress of the entire project on a public trello board, showing real-time updates of how the project progresses.
- Make regular updates to this page
- Post videos to youtube of the project's progress
More about La Calandria
In our school, kids have the opportunity to discover and explore their individual needs and interests, their creativity, their self-respect, their talents and above all their pleasure to learn. They are able to evolve naturally in a trustful, respectful, stress-free and motivating, as well as affectionate and harmonic environment. A trustful relationship between teachers and students increases their willingness and ability to study and supports integrated learning.
Also, the students take part in the decision making process, partaking in decisions regarding activities, procedures, rules as well as their own learning process.
The pupils of our school reflect the intercultural community of Vilcabamba, where natives and foreigners from all parts of the world live together. They learn and evolve together and benefit from their diversity in culture.
Why support a multicultural school in Ecuador
Many of the children at the school not only receive a wonderful alternative education; but also have the unique perspective of growing up in Vilcabamba’s multi-cultural, cosmopolitan culture, surrounded by different languages and experiences.
The school serves Ecuadorian children as well children from other countries, which benefits the local children, and integration of our multiple cultures.
Some of these families and children will return to their home countries when they are older, and other’s will move to other parts of Ecuador/Latin America. We believe that this cross-pollination of ideas, experiences and culture will be beneficial to society as a whole and we hope that the skills, and perspectives they bring home with them will holistically help humanity as a whole.
Our children are in a unique position in terms of their potential. We hope you will find it in your heart to help us grow the school, and our potential to contribute unique and able children to a changing world.