Three kittens need treatment for panleukopenia

Update posted by Florina Dorobantu On Jan 01, 2018

All the kittens have been released from clinic. They are well, still recovering and they have to stay in quaratine for the next 3 weeks. They are not allowed to get in contact with other cats and also they have a strict medication schedule for a full recovery.

Thank you everyone for backing us and we hope we will never encounter this problems again.



Add a Comment

Update posted by Florina Dorobantu On Dec 28, 2017

I have raised the campaign funding limit, because Orange showed signs of catching the virus too. We took him immediatly to the hospital to receive proper care.

Please help us overcome this nightmare that has become.

Thank you!

Add a Comment

Update posted by Florina Dorobantu On Dec 26, 2017

I would like to share a few details on how everything went from the beginning until now.

His mood started to change in the evening of December 22nd. He was being apatic and he did not want to eat.

Next day he started to throw up a yellow liquid and we took him to the doctor's office. Since it was Christmas Eve, we found a small clinic that was opened 24/7 for a check up. Initially they diagnosed him with a biliar crisis, so they gave him injected him electrolytes, metoclopramide, glucose and other shots. Totally - 8 shots on 23rd of December. We took him home, but the next day he started to throw up again. We came back to the clinic and the doctor examined him again. He said he has the symptoms for panleukopenia, we took the test and it was positive. The doctor gave him other 6 shots and he installed a perfusion on his arm.Tigris was hospitalized that day there.

We received good feedback on the phone, but I realized he was getting worse when we came back visiting him at 20.00 PM. He was lethargic, no energy and it seemed this clinic was overwhelmed by this situation.

I took the decision to move him to a better clinic, equipped with all necessary machines and with personnel that can supervise him each hour.

The clinic that took him, was a clinic I knew before, very expensive, but with quality services. I decided to give all the money I have to help him get better, even if that meant not paying my rent. The costs at this clinic were 500 Ron, around 120 euro.

They took him under care, we repeated the test for a double check, but it came positive again. Next the did a glucose test and it was discovered he had 19. The minimum is around 60. He was almost in a coma. They gave him glucose, took a blood test to find the other parameters and incubated him.

The blood results showed concerning facts, his protein level was 4.1 (min req. 6) and the white cells were at 0.9 (min req. 5.5). At this figures, they told me initially that he might not live, because his body will slowly cave in and he will die.

He was in much pain and they said it was better to help him get rid of the pain. The tough of making this decision was cruel.

Talking with a friend that was witness of him growing, he came to my help, convinced the doctors to not give up on him and to come with solutions. I was at the end of my power and I felt useless if front of this situation. With his help, the doctors reconsidered and started to search for solution.

Initially the solution was to find plasma to rise his white cells and after to inject interferon. We called in the Christmas morning the blood bank, the veterinary faculty, all over the place where we were able to find plasma to give it to him.

Meanwhile the doctors gave him painkillers to help him not suffer and relax.

The blood bank was is closed until December 27th and they could not help us, and the Veterinary faculty was also not answering. We did everything to stabilise his state and to keep him alive.

Until 04.00 AM on Christmas morning, his state was stable and he was a little conscious. He recognized me and looked for me with his eyes. I took it as a good sign, even tough, the situation was still uncertain. Everything that was done that night, costed 795 Ron, about 180 Euro.

I left home keeping him under the doctor's care. At home it gathered everything he touched, put the other 3 cats under quarantine in a room they were initially not allowed and I threw everything. This disease is contagious and it's easily to be spread with the other cats. At the moment, Puma, Mini-Jess and Orange are in quarantine, not happy about it, but at the moment they do not show signs of feeling unwell.

In the morning, at the new shift, another doctor came and he said we did not need plasma to inject interferon, we could do it without plasma, but the problem was to find interferon on Christmas day. We called over 30 clinics in Bucharest and we found a clinic that was willing to give only 1 ml of this, which would be enough only for 2 and a half days. The cost of it was around 700 Ron (170 euro). They started to administer it since that day and we still need another ml of this solution.

He was also tested for HIV and leukemia, to make sure, before interferon was administered. They came negative. I paid the tests, a sirop to give to the other 3 cats I have home, the admission for other 2 nights and other few small things. The round cost for December 25th was 900 Ron (200 euro).
The costs are getting higher and I still need to find funds to sustain him for another 5 days, to pay for the tests and to help the other cats get tested.

I need your help, please!

Add a Comment

photo

Anonymous

Backed with €100.00 On Dec 28, 2017

photo

Anonymous

Backed with €5.00 On Dec 25, 2017

photo

Elena Marin

Backed with €5.00 On Dec 25, 2017

photo

Anonymous

Backed with €2.00 On Dec 25, 2017

Add a Comment

photo

Florina Dorobantu

Campaign Owner

flag Bucharest, ro

send a message

photo

Florina Dorobantu

Following Since Dec 28, 2017

Create Support Campaign

Not Ready to Donate?

Did you know a 10 second Facebook share raises an average of €25?

Share on