Internet For Community Good is a sustainability project under YOU AND US DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE (www.yaudi.org) whose aim is to bridge the digital inequality gap by providing low cost wireless unlimited internet access to low income communities including homes and schools in Mugure and its surroundings.
On the other hand YOU AND US DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE is a non-profit that believes in creating stronger communities starts by investing in special programs that targets children and youths that who makes up 60% of mugure community and her surroundings. Since 2014 we have continued to invest in critical areas like education, health and safe spaces that contributes to holistic development of children.
Some of the programs includes-
1. The Smallest Library In Africa :A community library that provides conducive learning and E-learning space to over 100 school going children in Mugure
2. Nipeleke Shule Scholarship ; A program that currently supports 20 vulnerable children in accessing primary and secondary education.
3. The Slum Kitchen Initiative : A program that aims to prevent malnutrition in Mugure by providing nutritious meals to school going children hence improving their education performance and health in general.
With the emergence of globalization and covid-19 pandemic ,access to internet has become a necessity. However majority of low income communities such as Mugure which is part of lucky summer ward have continued to remain behind.
In 1st January 2021 we managed to roll out Home Net Solutions Africa with an aim of providing affordable unlimited wireless internet to Mugure community and the surrounding communities. This solutions targets to connect homes, public institutions like schools and libraries as well as small enterprises (SME's).
As of September 2021 we have successfully managed to connect 50 clients to our internet. Out of this number (50) three are schools and one a community library.
Once connected ,each member is required to pay a monthly distribution of 15$ (1500ksh) . 30% of the monthly subscription is channeled to support our community work by paying for our library monthly fee, paying school, fees and purchasing food supply at our slum Kitchen. In short by you accessing our internet you are indirectly supporting holistic development of a vulnerable child.
With the rising high demand of unlimited internet we would like to scale up this project and connect to at least 430 new clients to our internet service in the next three months. This would give us a client base of 480 with a projected monthly income of 7,200$ (720,000ksh ) With 50% of this monthly income going to our community work we project to do the following.
1. Establish two new libraries in the surrounding communities as well as meet their monthly library expenses.
2. Enroll more vulnerable children especially girls in our scholarship fund, our target is 100 in the by 2023.
3. Expand our Kitchen and provide weekly meals to over 300 school going children.
4. Establish talents clubs including football to nature children's talents
For us to connect 430 new clients we are looking to raise at least 8,000$ (800,000ksh) .
With the above donation, we shall increase our bandwidth , update our transmitters for internet efficiency and connect to more clients.
Kindly join me on this sustainable dream of building an inter-dependent ecosystem that is supported by access to affordable and unlimited internet.