The families along the fishing community of lake Victoria are affected by the effects of climate change so severely.An approach with focus on SDG no 7 which focuses on clean energy for all is the dimesnion that will address the effects in a sustainable way.Though the approach of introducing energy cookinmg stoves to the households by directly installing the cook stoves to the householders,a threat of indoor air pollution which has diverse effects to the persons living with HIV will be addressed.Along the fishing community,the rate of HIV prevelance is high and this causes bodys immune system of the affected coohort to be at risk when they get exposed to smoke.
Some of the benefits
Each stove saves about 1.09 tons of firewood annually, with 1.4 stoves in service, a total of about 1,526,000 tons of firewood are saved annually, which is equivalent to about 83,846 ha of primary forest land in Kenya. This leads also to reduction in carbon dioxide emission by approximately 1,008,000 tons per annum, making the stoves a strong mitigation against global warming.
In comparison to the three stones fire, the stoves are designed and built to burn efficiently, which reduces emission of harmful in house smoke that is harmful to women and children. This translates to a potential of 30% smoke reduction compared to three stones fires (IAP 2007)
• Uses less firewood per cooking, compared to the three stones fire. This reduces the frequency of fetching firewood by about 50%, which time women and girls can use on productive or self improvement skills and more time to study. This works towards improving
• Cooks faster than the three stoves fi re. This speeds up the cooking task, and reduces time spent exposed to
any harmful smoke emitted. It accords women more time to engage in productive activities and other community
a) Safe:- the design ensures that the user is shielded from any flames, and the insulation contains most of the heat in the combustion chamber, this keeps the stove body cool and reduces accidental burns
b) Easy operation: - once lit,the stoves burn continuously without need to blow air in the firewood chamber. Compared to the three stones, there is only one door to feed firewood, which is easy to control.
a) Saves money
Stoves used at household level
1. averagely a person uses about 1.5 Kg of firewood daily
2. installed cookstove save from 36% to 44% on wood fuel compared to a three stone fire
3. A family of 5 will require 52.5 Kg of wood fuel per week
4. Firewood costs about KES 50 per kg, thus the family spends KES 2,625 per week
5. The stove saves 36% to 44% on wood fuel compared to a three stone stove, thus firewood used per week is reduced to between 33.6 Kg and 29.4 kg.