mental illness is not a joke. Those who face it and deal with it,have a daily struggle with everyday activities.
Mental health and substance use challenges can take many forms. There’s depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, addiction and the list goes on. Some of these challenges are more visible and you might recognize them immediately. Others can be harder to see when you’re not looking for them. But, they are still there.
These statistics provide a look at how many people face a mental health or substance use challenge, whether we see it or not:
- In the United States, almost half of adults (46.4 percent) will experience a mental illness during their lifetime.
- 5 percent of adults (18 or older) experience a mental illness in any one year, equivalent to 43.8 million people.
- Of adults in the United States with any mental disorder in a one-year period, 14.4 percent have one disorder, 5.8 percent have two disorders and 6 percent have three or more.
- Half of all mental disorders begin by age 14 and three-quarters by age 24.
- In the United States, only 41 percent of the people who had a mental disorder in the past year received professional health care or other services.
Taken from https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/ written by Rubina Kapil.
My name is Sofi,im 31 years old and im struggling with depression,anxiety and schizophrenia. I don't work,I barely go out. and when I do,I need a constant company from a person I know and trust.
People tend to avoid me, since I have schizophrenia...But at least I have each other. :D
i'm living on a disability wage since 2009. Made this campaign in helps to increase the awareness and in hope of raising a bit of money to celebrate my bday which is this friday and pay some bills. Having a mental illness is a struggle,but if we try to support each other,understand and care..it can be dealt with. Every help is a good help. Im up for chatting as well if anyone is interested,,,I can be a good listener and a good friend :-)