The Syrian refugees situation has reached crisis point!
Almost six years of continuous violence in Syria has created the largest humanitarian crisis since the Second World War. Millions desperately need food, water, shelter and medical care, and that's why I decided to help.
I've always wanted to do more with my naturopathic healthcare skills and I was so happy when I heard about Involvement Volunteers International that would offer me the opportunity to get on the ground and try to make a difference.
This July 2017, I am travelling with a team to assist the refugees in cages on a malnutrition and crisis control project.
I am urgently seeking donations to be able to support displaced families by providing food, basic supplies, yoga, massage and natural health products to them in the camps. Anything to help improve their current health and awful situation.
If you’d like to help me along my journey, with even the smallest donation, it would be greatly appreciated.
A bit about me
My name is Chrissie, originally from UK and now living in Sydney. I am a naturopath, yoga teacher and massage therapist. I have previously volunteered locally and within Asia and South America, in an animal sanctuary and teaching English in India and Brazil.
I’m hoping to make a difference this August by lending my skills to the humanitarian effort. I will spend 2-3 weeks volunteering with Syrian refugees in Greece, helping in any way I can and helping with my skills where needed.
What will we be doing?
As a team we will be focusing on:
- General crisis control as priority
- Assisting with boat arrivals (providing warm clothes, blankets and food)
- Working at the Women's Centre, talking with the women, providing activities such as art and craft as well as counselling and support
- Working in the Children's House (a play area for the children under 6, providing showers for the children with their parents as they currently don't have hot water available in the camps and shower every 6-8 weeks)
- Warehouse support
- Food distribution, providing nourishing meals and tea service - bringing hot tea to the camps each afternoon to bond with and get to know the refugees
- Collecting and distributing donated supplements and nutrition protein bars
- Teaching yoga and doing some massage
- Nutrition education and Naturopathic support using Bush flowers or teaching them to make herbal teas
- Implementing basic exercise programs including yoga therapy for adults and children to increase a sense of wellbeing in the camps and help them mentally with the trauma and stress they've endured; providing health education and implementing nutritional programs for families
While we are in Greece, the team and I are going to do our best to assist the local Greek community, who are supporting the displaced Syrian people. We will be purchasing things to donate to the refugees as a part of our care, including the following:
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Basic first aid/ medical supplies
- Nutritional supplements such as whey products and vitamins
- Blankets, clothing and footwear
- How you can help
If you can spare a few dollars to donate to this cause your money would be going towards:
- My travel expenses in getting to and around Greece - accommodation and transport
- Purchasing items locally (as listed above) to support the refugee community
See more at https://www.facebook.com/syria.breaking/videos/602969683162670/To follow my journey you can go to https://www.volunteering.org.au/https://m.facebook.com/ChrissieAlexander.CoconutSpiceYogaAndNaturopathy/
If any of this sounds good to you, please hit the link to donate.
If you’re not in a position yourself to donate, please share this on so that others may contribute.
Thank you for your time, support and your open heart.