I am looking to start making my own chocolate from scratch and went the cheap DIY way with a coffee grinder to do the job of transforming the cocoa and sugar into delicious, homemade chocolate and eventually start a small business on the side doing so, selling chocolates online to start with.
Unfortunately, I quickly realized that with this method I can only make tiny batches (100g or less) at a time and the equipment is not so appropriate, leaving all my chocolate more gritty and acid than desirable, since a coffee grinder doesn't come anywhere close to being able to perform the same functions as a proper chocolate melangeur.
And for this, I humbly turn to you for help. A chocolate melangeur is an expensive, hard to find appliance and hard to justify the expense for since this is not my primary occupation, but it is also the only kind of equipment that will let me make larger batches and not entirely burn through a coffee grinder after 5 minutes of use.
Full disclosure on the amount I'm looking for:
- The melangeur I'm looking at currently costs around 1100 USD, including shipping costs.
- To this value, I must add the 2.2% EU import tax, plus the 25% Swedish import tax
- There might be other additional customs fees that are probably not trivial amounts
- To reduce maintenance of the equipment, I would also like to do a basic, generally recommended upgrade to replace the equipment's drive belt with a chain belt. I expect the cost to be low, but I'm including it here nonetheless
- Whatever remains goes to help with additional issues I haven't thought of yet :)
The campaign is fairly far into the future since I'm not expecting a lot of donations immediately (it's almost Christmas after all) and that's the deadline I set to myself.
I will, of course put some of my own money upfront depending if the campaign will provide enough to make it worth trying, given the fairly large values involved.