To provide funds and technical assistance that enable organizations serving the poorest and most vulnerable people in the world to develop and implement innovative, sustainable and replicable approaches that prevent illness, improve access to basic health care services, improve health literacy and make a better life for them and their families.
- serve very poor, vulnerable people,
- address a meaningful gap in services that will improve direct care, prevent illness, improve health literacy, or increase access to basic healthcare services,
- are well-managed and staffed by motivated people who think creatively,
- make good use of the foundation's technical assistance in the areas of public health intervention, health literacy, management, and/or financing for healthcare,
- are modest in size but designed to have significant impact in the lives of people in need,
- are committed to measuring progress and using that data to improve on the project's performance and expansion,
- have a plan for sustainability,
- and can be replicated in other places.