we are a nonprofit organization based in Mathare slum in Nairobi, Kenya. Mathare is one of the biggest slums in Eastern Africa and people suffer a lot because of the poor living conditions. Most of the houses are opened and as it gets cold in Nairobi a lot of Mathares inhabitants get sick. HIV rates are high and the crime rates as well. But that's not what we want to focus on with this campaign. The purpose why we are reaching out to you is to give the kids born in Mathare a chance for a bright future. We believe that by investing in the children's education we can start to change the slum in a sustainable way. Therefore we need your help. At the moment we work with volunteers and are proud to tell you that we already opened a school and a kindergarten. Some older kids could already be sponsored (school fees especially to visit high school outside of Mathare because we don't have one here) to continue their education.
The kids are very motivated. Last week we asked school kids for their dream job. They want to be doctors to help people, business man to support their family, teachers to help other kids or police men to fight the crime. But the most impressive thing is their attitude: After their dreams we asked them on how to reach their goals. All of them told us that it is important to stay focused. To study everyday to be the best in class. Not to follow pear pressure, to drink or to take drugs. They are so committed and appreciate every chance they get. And these kids are only twelve years old. We were so impressed. But sadly as everywhere only the motivation cannot fund their education. To give them a bright future we ask you to help raising the following
- school fees: 200 USD / kid / year. 6000 USD all 30 kids / year.
- uniforms (obligatory in Kenya): 18,50 USD / kid / year. 555 USD / all 30 Kids / year.
- shoes: 16 USD / kid / year. 480 USD all 30 Kids / year.
- school writing books: 10,50 USD / kid / year. 315 USD all 30 Kids / year.
- pens and pencils (10 each): 2 USD / kid / year. 60 USD all 30 Kids / year.
- books (5): 30 USD / kid / year. 900 USD all 30 Kids / year.
- rubber and pencil shaper: 7 USD / kid / year. 21 USD all 30 Kids / year.
- bag: 8 USD / kid / year. 240 USD all 30 Kids / year.
- Medical expenses: 15 USD / kid / year. 450 USD all 30 Kids / year.
- school trips: 15 USD / kid / year. 450 USD all 30 Kids / year.
- tracksuit: 13 USD / kid / year. 390 USD / 30 Kids / year.
- contingency money: 15 USD / kid / year. 450 USD / all 30 Kids / year.
- Cover all expenses for a primary school kid (sum of all above): 323,70 USD / kid / year. 10311 USD / all 30 Kids / year.
This is the total amount needed to give the kids the opportunity for a bright future. Of course we will provide you with personal videos / photos of the impact you make.
Give a kid a smile and start making an impact now! You can always approach us for more information or questions. To keep you updated we regularly post on Facebook and instagram. The name is Mama Africa Pendo.
We are looking forward to hearing from you, love from Mathare. <3