My name is Gelly Skarlatou
I am one step away from qualifying and competing in my 5th Olympic Games, Tokyo 2020, having previously participated in the Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000, London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympic Games representing Greece.
My goal has never been more significant: the journey this time around is not just about me. I am determined to raise as much awareness as I can about ageism and the affect this type of discrimination has not only in sport, my domain, but also in so many other fields in today’s society.
Today, I find myself facing this problem of ageism, as I soon will be celebrating my 44th birthday; a hard reality that has turned funding and sponsorship into an impossible and frustrating task.
This is why I believe my journey, is a collective journey of everyone who dares to put everything on the line for what inspires and motivates them; a journey not limited by rules on what can and cannot be done, on what is acceptable and what is not according to age.
By backing my campaign you will give me equal chances in my preparation ahead of the Olympic qualification event in April 2020, and the actual Olympic Games in July, where I have set my sight on proving my worth through my extended experience in the ultimate competitive field for over 25 years.
By backing me you will also make my participation in other international competitions and camps possible and competitive by covering the high cost of equipment, coaching, airfares, overweight, transportation, accommodation and entry fees. For your interest I have enclosed a complete list of the events I plan on participating in:
- 2nd Portugal Grand Prix, Vilamoura, PORTUGAL, December 2019
- ISAF Sailing World Cup, Miami, USA January 2020
- RS:X World Championships, Sorrento, AUSTRALIA, February 2020
- Trofeo Sar Princess Sofia, SPAIN, March 2020
- ISAF Sailing World Cup, Genoa, ITALY, April 2020
- RS:X European Championships, Athens, GREECE, May 2020
- Sailing World Cup Final, Enoshima, Japan, Greece, June 2020
- Olympic Games, Enoshima, JAPAN, July 2020
Thank you for being a part of my team