Voukeng has always loved helping. Like, seriously. A student in micribiology living in cameroon with a soul shared amongst his battles he also caries the ampathy and warm feeling for orphans and street children, He founded DOMINO for that reason.. to help these orphans in education and to offer volonteer all over his country creating a youth movement... can he change the world??? yes with your help.
The problem was, he felt powerless. The more he learnt, the bigger the orphans and street children problems felt. he wanted to understand how issues like war, health, poorverty, poor social policies, inequity, were affecting his community. And what could he, a mere student in yaounde, even hope to do about it?
About 4 years, voukeng founded DOMINO and his story started to change. he met and convinced people about his vision on changing and bringing a solution to the orphans and street children in his community and soon he realised people were sharing his vision.
Together, they started to organise. They hosted workshops to bring young people together and plan volonteer. They worked with youths and orphans. They spoke up at events to share their ideas. Through mentoring, they learnt leadership skills to empower others to take action too. They also dressed up like the wind , because they were millenials and that’s what happens. And they soon realised that they did have power, it was just about realising it was there.
DOMINO didn't make Voukeng awesome, he already was just by thinking about realising that. It helped him translate it into real, tangible change for the thing he cared about: welfare for orphans and street children
What we're going to do
You might not have met Voukeng before, but you also kind of have. Because we’re all a bit Voukeng .
Imagine if we were able to empower more voukeng (like, a heap of voukengs) to power the next generation of social solution providers? Imagine what cameroon would look like in 20 years time if we helped hundreds of voukengs to get the leg up they needed?
To do just that, DOMINO is creating a support education launchpad for the orphans of the community because we know education is the best we can offer to these kids and youths.
Open to everyone, the program will include:
- A Volunteer Mentoring and Self-Development Program - including regular one-on-one leadership mentoring for team leaders, self-development and goal-setting workshops and involvement in design and education projects in their local community.
- 1 x Annual National Team Retreat + 6 x Annual Chapter Retreats - for delivery of face-to-face volunteer training, personal and team reflection, field trips, strategy and community building and to celebrate the invaluable hard work of DOMINO volunteers across the country each year.
If we reach our 9,000euros target, we'll:
- buy forniture and equipment to ensure the Education program unrolls in better conditions.
- school bags
- snack boxes
- school uniforms
- Create a more personalised mentoring program with our team leaders and support all participants secure mentors.
- Provide participants(orphans and street children) access to the state diploma, pass their exams and have jobs in future
- get technicaltraining for older youths in order to ensure their independence
Why young people, you say?
Young people are the trailblazers of our future and we know that to empower and untap their potential, the single most powerful thing we can do is to create communities of young people who understand social problems, support creativity and can help give rise to new ideas and fresh thinking.'
DOMINO has already realised 2 years of education support to orphanages in the town of DOUALA. We want to continue to grow the capacity of our members in those chapters, and beyond, so that bringing a real solution tho their education becomes our default, not the alternative. by launching this education programme we are;
- Supporting more new awesome education projects to come alive around cameroon,
- multiply volonteer actions in the community
- Developing the centre-points of local education monitors communities, allowing young people to create the social connections that help them find their power
- Breaking the mould on the top down model of education and behavior change, and allowing orphansand street children to learn from their peers
- Doing our part to give the cameroonian education system the greatest EQUALITY, hope and security for the future
You can join us.
Reaching our tipping point goal of 9,000euros will allow us to support DOMINO team members to research, design and implement better and more sustainable solutions to the problem of orphans and street children education across the country, engage specialist guest speakers for online workshops, cover travel and accommodation costs associated with getting volunteers to chapter training retreats and operational costs associated with providing ongoing mentoring and support to volunteer team leaders.
But first we need your help. Pledge to DOMINO crowdfunding campaign to help us make this dream become a reality. And with enough support, we’ll see you next year at Upstart!