My name is Bea, and this is my baby boy, Zion. He has a rare lung malformation, while still in my tummy.
Zion is my first baby and I have been pregnant with him for 30 weeks.
At 23 weeks, my OBGYN found masses in Zion’s left lung. His heart was being pushed to right, and towards the esophagus and spine. And at 25 weeks, my perinatologist has diagnosed him with CCAM/CPAM.
Congenital Cystic Adenomatoid Malformation (now known as Congenital Pulmonary Airway Malformation or CPAM), in layman’s terms, is a rare condition in which some of the fetal lung tissues abnormally develops. Its cause is unknown, and occurs only in 1 out of 30,000 pregnancies.
Baby Zion’s heart is now on the right side instead of mid-left (mediastinal shift).
Baby Zion has multiple microcystic CCAM, and cannot be simply drained out unlike singular macrocysts.
Baby Zion may or may not develop hydrops (fetal heart failure – which ultimately leads to death).
Baby Zion, should he not develop hydrops, will undergo surgery after he is born to remove the masses in his lungs.
Baby Zion and I are being closely monitored. He will have weekly scans to check if the size of the masses became smaller or has completely disappeared (declaring it!!!), as well as to check my amniotic fluid index or AFI, and if he developed hydrops (rebuking it!!!).
So far, his CCAM has grown larger. I will most likely undergo labor induction at 37 weeks to deliver baby ZIon. As much as possible, we are hoping to deliver normally. But if it doesn't work, I will deliver via C-section.
As hard as it may seem to handle, God delivered me from that place of despair to a place full of hope. He has continuously reminded me that “your faith has healed you” in the times I have poured my heart out to Him. And so, that’s where I stand: faithful that God has already healed baby Zion even before the tests show.
Parents from the US have informed me that their total bills have amounted to $200,000. I am in hopes that the expenses in the Philippines will be much cheaper compared to first-world medical treatment.
Please help us finance the expenses for dear baby Zion's fight with CCAM. He will spend many weeks in NICU and undergo many tests, as well. We do not have the exact quotation for the operation yet, as we have to wait and see how much the CCAM grows (or, hopefully, shrinks), and how else it has affected the displacement of his heart.
Thank you and God bless us all.
If you want like to know more about us, you can read some of our stories in the blog I have set up after being diagnosed with CCAM: Dear Baby Zion