One Problem, Two Faces
As trees disappear, soil is being eroded, Cauvery is drying up, and farmers are suffering.
- Cauvery has depleted over 40% in the last 70 years
- 87% of the basin’s original tree cover has been lost
- Almost half the Cauvery basin suffers critical groundwater depletion.
The suffering of farmers and their suicides in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka have made national headlines.
- 47,190 farmer suicides in 15 years in Cauvery basin
- 83% of farmers in Tamil Nadu and 77% of farmers in Karnataka are in debt
- 17 districts in Tamil Nadu were drought-hit in 2019
- 15 of the last 18 years have been drought years in Karnataka