Hi. I'm raising the fund to cover the remaining balance of my cat Botak's PU (perineal urethrostomy) surgery treatment, his previous unpaid and unbilled vet bills and post-surgery treatments/meds.
Botak has been in and out the hospital to treat his mouth ulcer since February 2019. So far, despite having a very swollen penis for 3 months, he's been peeing ok until last Sunday afternoon when no urine came out. He was straining so hard that he'd poop instead.
Chronology of Botak's surgery:
➡️MONDAY May 13th
Rushed Botak to the vet. Doc wanted to ward him for a few days and flush his bladder. She tried but unfortunately the catheter couldn't even go in because the tip of the penis was so damaged and scarred, they couldn't find the way to insert it. His penis didn't look like a penis anymore. This could be the reason why Botak couldn't urinate.
So they just drew the urine out a different way and gave him some muscle relaxer, hoping it would work Doc gave me some choices for me to make - take him to another vet, do PU surgery in KL (Kuala Lumpur, 3+ hours away) or PTS. My heart nearly stopped at the word PTS. My world went dark for a bit. It's definitely not an option for me.
➡️TUESDAY May 14th
Took my mom for her appointment early in the morning but I guess I was so stressed from everything that I had a panic attack and my asthma flared up that I ended up in the emergency room myself lol but my mom no longer needed to wear the cast for her broken toe. Finally! Spent half the day at the hospital.
Went to visit Botak in the late afternoon only to receive the bad news that he still couldn't urinate. So I had to make the choice on what to do. After taking some of comments I've received about PU surgery in some cat groups into consideration, I decided that's the best for long term. I told them I want them to do it. But if they failed, I will do whatever I can to go to KL.
➡️WEDNESDAY May 15th
Doc called me in the morning telling me they're not confident with the surgery because it's a complicated case and told me to take him to KL. I had panic attack because I didn't have transportation! So I decided to go to another specialist vet here.
At the 2nd vet, we did blood test and turns out his kidney is not bad. His white blood cell was very high though. Vet thought maybe he's fighting an infection so he gave Botak an antibiotic injection. We did FIP/FeLV test and he's negative for both. But the doc did so much to him and was very rough that I cried when I got home! He even inserted his fingers into Botak's anus and wiggle it around to feel for his penis. Botak was crying while sedated. I questioned myself if I was wrong to put him through all of that pain and stress. But I wasn't gonna give up on him that easily. No way.
The doc said he could do the surgery but he needed over $1000 and at least $400 deposit to proceed. I didn't have enough money. I begged and begged for him to proceed and I will raise the amount when I get home. He said no. He told me to take him to KL instead. 😭 He's not doing it without half of the payment. He withdrew the urine out by needle and checked that Botak has some stones as well. He then sent us home.
I was SO LOST at this time. It was a race against time. The more I delay the sicker Botak gets. But again, I wasn't about to give up easily. I went to another vet near my house. She couldn't do it but she recommended another vet and asked me to go there. So I did. The vet told me she could do it. She has done PU surgery before. I was so happy to hear it! She told me to bring Botak the next morning.
➡️THURSDAY May 16th
Botak slept with me on my pillow the whole night. I felt so guilty for putting him through all the horrors and pain at the 2nd vet. Early in the morning, I took him to the 3rd vet. I was tired, Botak was tired, we just needed some good news. I wanted to avoid the long distance travel so badly so I don't stress Botak.
Vet said she could do the surgery the next day and Botak needed to be warded. I was happy until she told me I needed to pay a deposit of RM1800 ($440) to proceed with the surgery. I said I only had RM500 ($120) and will find more. She said no and wouldn't even ward him until I get the money. Told me to take him home and to come back when I have enough. I begged and begged but they still said no. I couldn't hold back my tears. I cried at the clinic. The assistant was so sad he couldn't help me. He tried, though. I was so upset and disappointed. I was so lost. I didn't know where to find that huge amount of money in such a short amount of time. I didn't want more delays. Even if I took him to KL, they would still reject me for not having money for deposit. The long trip would've been for nothing.
So, as soon as I got home I posted a cry for help on my facebook. I was so surprised and so touched that within a couple of hours I managed to get the needed amount for deposit. 😭😭 So I rushed him back to the clinic before they close and got him warded.
Surgery was scheduled at 7am the next morning.
➡️FRIDAY May 17th
I couldn't even get proper sleep. I was panicking in the morning because I was so scared. Finally at 10 am the doc called. Surgery went well! Omg it was such a relief to hear that! She said I could visit him later that evening.
He was still groggy when I visited him but alert. I worry about his recovery process but he seemed to be doing fine so I could finally take a breather.
➡️SATURDAY May 18th
I visited Botak in the morning. I wasn't happy. I heard he vomited in the morning and wasn't eating much. When I visited him, he was drenched in his urine, very cold and shivering. He was also acting very weird and looked traumatized from the sound of dogs barking nonstop in the next room. I guess it reminded him of the crappy vet in 2017 where he got so traumatized of the dogs that he even got nightmares. It was that vet that prolly did the extensive damage to his penis until he needed the surgery now.
I was so scared that he'd get so terrified it affects his recovery process. Plus I couldn't visit him for 2 days because of public holiday in Malaysia so that's definitely not good. I had to make a quick decision and decided to transfer him to the first hospital where he's more familiar of.
I requested for him to be discharged. So at the other clinic it took me 3 hours to try to calm him down. He wouldn't let me touch him. He ignored my voice. Definitely not good. But once he was warded he was slowly back to his normal self but still acting weird. His paw where they put the IV was also VERY swollen.
➡️SUNDAY May 19th
It was public holiday but I made an appointment to see Botak in the morning. He seemed sad and scared but he did respond when I called his name. He was still shivering uncontrollably. I opened the cage door to pet him but he forced himself out and onto my lap. I could feel how hard he was shaking.
But after a minute, his shaking slowed down and he started grooming himself. Then he fell asleep on my lap. He stopped shaking after a while. Poor baby was probably cold, scared and in so much discomfort. But he seemed slightly better than the day before.
I hope he will continue to recover without any problems or complications.