This is my favorite quote from my favorite movie, The Shawshank Redemption: “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever ends.”
09/26/19 - About 9 hours after Eulo was delivered, the nurses noticed that Eulo was cyanotic. On the same day, we were immediately referred to another hospital for a pediatric 2D echo. Eulo was diagnosed with a rare congenital heart disease - TRANSPOSITION OF THE GREAT ARTERIES. The first question the doctor asked was how aggressive are we going to be to seek for the only treatment - SURGERY.
“All of them will die... maybe the next hour, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week.” I could still remember these words from the doctor after explaining what will happen if we don’t get treatment. But, just like any other medical procedure, we were told that though it may be the only solution to the problem, there is no guarantee for survival, and knowing that Eulo’s a newborn, the risks are very high, and the cost would be exponential.
I couldn’t explain what I was feeling back then. Just like any mother (or maybe not), all I wanted was my son to live... to have the life that he deserves. He didn’t want any of this to happen.
We didn’t know what to do. We didn’t know where to get money. We’re just an average-income earning family. We kept the faith and trusted Him. As the saying goes, “God Provides”, and He did. A lot of people offered their help and prayers, and we were able to push through with the surgery.
10/08/19 - 9:30 AM - Eulo’s Arterial Switch Operation (ASO). The surgery took roughly 10 hours - the longest wait we had to endure. 7:00 PM - we were told that the surgery was successful, but they needed to place a peritoneal dialysis catheter because he didn’t have urine output during the entire duration of the surgery... his kidneys were failing. He stayed in the recovery room for 48 hours - sedated and paralyzed. For infection control purposes, we weren’t allowed inside the recovery room - this was the hardest part. Imagine a very tiny human being sliced open, multiple tubes being inserted and you couldn’t even hold or hug him, and that tiny human is my son.
Day 3 post-op: His BPs were fluctuating - he had septic shock. We were told that we could lose him any minute. I was allowed to take a glimpse of Eulo, and I could barely recognize him. He was all red and bloated. I was losing my sanity, but the doctor told me, “It’s too early for us to give up”. We’re still on Day 3.
This video was taken 5 days after Eulo’s surgery... he is ALIVE and he is AWAKE. Nothing in the world could ever replace the blissful feeling I had when I saw this look in his eyes.
Amidst all these, all I knew was we never lost faith, and we never lost hope... because it is a good thing... maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever ends.
PS: Eulo is more active now, and his condition has significantly improved for the past week. His kidneys have recovered, he is tolerating the feeding, and a lot more positive things. The doctors are managing his recovery carefully, one day at a time, slowly and surely. Eulo is such a fighter, and truly, God’s miracle.
We are knocking on your hearts to help us with this situation that our BRAVE, STRONG LITTLE ONE is battling. After all that he has been through, we couldn’t compromise the quality of healthcare service that he is receiving. Hence, the magnitude of the expenses that we are going through.