AnimalCrossBG - Help me develop an emergency app, build a clinic and a hotel for animals of Varna city and region.
Some Facts: There are approximately 10,000 homeless dogs and more than 15,000 homeless cats in Varna, Bulgaria. Everyday about 20-30 incidents happen with injured or dead animals in the whole region.
My name is Borislav Bogdanov from Bulgaria. I am a graphic designer and an owner of 2 pets. I live in Varna with my family and we love animals but we have a problem in the city.
In recent years all of us see countless injured or dead animals on the city streets and highways. They stay there for days and people just pass by without doing anything. Everyone who wants to help is not able to do so because there is no number to call or website to visit.
In reality there is no such emergency service that people can signalize or get in touch with. You can call or email a certain district center but help is very slow or absent. Some of the animals die, bodies are left there for days and start to stink.
So I am introducing to you AnimalCrossBG - The First Bulgarian Animal Emergency Service.
Meaning of the name: Animal stands for animals, Cross - The Christian Cross. It symbolises help and hope. BG stands for Bulgaria.
My idea is a bit ambitious but I hope I can get some help to make it happen:
1) Design and develop an emergency app for all animal incidents. People can easily signalise when they see a dead or injured animal and point the location spot.
2) Transform an old building into a vet clinic. The clinic will have 2 clinic rooms, 1 emergency vehicle which will quickly pick the animals. All types of animal vet care services will be offered.
3) Turn 50% of the building into a shelter. It will be for injured or homeless animals until they get adopted. 2 big shelter halls are planned for about 30-50 animals.
These are some similar example how the shelter halls may look like:
This is the overview plan and how everything will be done:
If the campaign is successful a collaboration will be started with Animal Hope Varna Foundation. We can help one another with men power, animal care, advice and public awareness. http://animalhope-varna.org/?lang=en
What We Need
This is all the help I need so far:
1) Emergency App, Clinic and Shelter: Total $135,000 USD
- Transform the old building into a clinic and animal shelter.
- Buy 1 vehicle for the clinic and turn it into an emergency car.
- Design and build the emergency animal application:
- Design/build a website.
- Local and internet awareness of the initiative. (banners, posters, ads, flyers, etc):
- Create and promote an open day event for the public:
- Sort out all legal things and licenses:
- Build/hire a team to help out for the first few year. (2 Vet doctors, emergency driver and 1 emergency doctor, shelter keeper, cleaner, etc. (I will use volunteers such as friends and relatives until I build the team)
We have some bigger goals too:
2) Campaigns and school lessons ''How to interact with animals: Total $270,000 USD
-The Bulgarians have no animal culture and how to behave. It would be great to make some campaigns and school lessons. People can visit and understand the animal problem and help or share it. It's very important kids to get some animal lessons and how to behave with animals, how to help them or avoid accidents. The campaigns and lessons will last for 6 months and the idea is to cover almost the whole city and schools.
3) City Animal Hotel for 50 animals: Total $360,000 USD
-A lot of people travel every weekend or on holidays and there is no good places to leave their pets. A pet hotel could be build and solve that issue.
4) Huge city shelter for all homeless animals: Total $820,000 USD
Create a huge shelter which can gather almost all homeless dogs and cats of the city. This will resolve the whole animal problem in the city of Varna. It will be build in a village close to the city. When the clinic shelter is full animals can be sent in the huge shelter. A lot of people and resources will be needed to make such a shelter.
5) ULTIMATE GOAL: Help us make the project last for 10 years: Total $1.4 Million USD
- This is ultimate goal for the whole campaign: To resolve the animal problems in the city once and for all. To save all suffering dogs, cats, birds and other animals and make a better place for us all. Because people and animals must live in harmony together.
1 - Emergency App, Clinic and Shelter - $135,000 USD
2 - Campaigns and school lessons- $270,000 USD
3 - City Animal Hotel for 50 animals - $360,000 USD
4 - Huge city shelter for all homeless animals - $820,000 USD
5 - ULTIMATE GOAL: Help us make the project last for 10 years - $1.4 Million USD
With your big help we can help a lot of animals, bring hope and make our city better to live in. Bulgaria as the poorest EU state member has enormous difficulties with healthcare and animal care. Sometimes funding is not enough for the people and animals are forgotten. The impact will be huge and I hope the awareness will be enough to make this idea happen. In future I dream every city to has such an emergency app and clinic.
The whole Varna region will benefit from this campaign if we make it happen:
This is the current AnimalCrossBG volunteer project team:
Risks and challenges
Most of the issues will be organizational and bureaucratic. I hope everything will go smooth with your help, the advice and support from Animal Hope Varna Foundation and other local animal lovers.
Some of the challenges
- Create an animal friendly clinic and shelter where each animal will be helped and taken care of.
- Advertise the new app and clinic well enough so that people are aware that animal can get help very fast.
- Have enough people available to run the project successfully. In the start will be volunteers but the idea is to get young, vet qualified and enthusiastic people to work for the clinic
- Funding is a big problem for such a project. You may give us a push with your help but in future also local authorities must help for the public benefit. With enough funding the project can turn into a permanent one.
You can also share your ideas and maybe experience from a similar project in your country.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!