I am penning this with a tinge of hope.
A hope to grow a 3000 strong reading movement across poor rubber & palm oil plantation school children in rural Malaysia.
Here at KUYIL (a 25 year children magazine) - Our mission is to provide all school going children with the most basic childhood right: A RIGHT TO READ.
Today, over 50% of the 524 Tamil primary schools in Malaysia are located in rural areas with a heavy concentration across rubber & palm oil plantations.
Government statistics notes that for children born to rubber tappers or palm oil plantation workers (with zero formal education) - only 5% of them succeed in attaining a decent tertiary education.
Neither poverty nor lack of Internet access hinder this children's thirst for real world knowledge.
Our field work research reveals that, typically 4 plantation school children contribute MYR 0.50 cents (SGD 0.16 cents) each per month to purchase a copy of KUYIL. Each child reads the copy for only 7 days before passing on to his/her friend
the following week.
OUR KIND DONATION REQUEST :
To cover basic production & printing costs, a 80 page KUYIL is only priced at MYR 2.00 (SGD 0.64 cents) per child. (We absorb all 100% distribution costs which includes packaging & delivery)
A donation of just SGD 0.64 cents a month opens the door for a poor child to collectively read 80 meaningful pages of real world content consisting of:
- Success stories of fellow Tamil school children locally & globally
- Science, technology, engineering & mathematics (STEM) teachings
- National Geographic oriented environmental knowledge
- Exclusive monthly 24 page government examination (UPSR, PT3 & SPM) exercise worksheets.
- Core human values depicting discipline, honesty & hard work
- Motivational quotes from historical figures, scientists & philosophers
- 2 Brain teasers - With cash prizes totaling MYR 200 per month (SGD 63.50 per month)
- 2 Coloring contests - With cash prizes totaling MYR 200 per month (SGD 63.50 per month)
- 62 Storybook Giveaways every month totaling MYR 310 (SGD 98.40 per month)
- Real life stories & poems sharing on various topics in Tamil, English & Bahasa Malaysia
- General knowledge Q&A session with the Editor
- Children games including SUDOKU, Spot the Difference & Word Puzzles
- Moral stories illustrating filial piety to parents, respecting teachers & faith in God
- *Plans are currently underway to incorporate content on entrepreneurship, monetary savings, meditation & yoga
We started this literacy initiative on a small scale. Humble
beginnings. Just a giant fire to help children read. We faced tons
of challenges and 25 years fast forward we still continue to light the flames
of knowledge in the hearts & minds of these children.
Our hope needs to be backed by funding from donors like you who care about the literacy of each child as well as what they aspire to grow to be, for:
Each of their happiness is from your blessings,
Each of their gratitude is your wealth and
Each of their contentment is our collective joy
With Love & Gratitude - Ram
HOW YOU CAN HELP TODAY:
1) Please GIVE what you can
2) SHARE on social media (#3000Reads)
3) EMAIL this page - https://gogetfunding.com/3000-reads/ to your family & friends. HELP OUR MOVEMENT GO VIRAL!
Please kindly send us a message and we will be more than happy to answer your questions pertaining our literacy initiative. Thanks a million!