Raising funds to buys medical supplies for the shelter that I am going to be volunteering at in November.
I'm going to Thailand in November for 2 weeks to do volunteer work assisting with spaying and neutering dogs with the organization GoPawesome. They are asking us to bring through donations such as gloves, suturing material, disposable drapes... items for the surgeries. I want to bring through as much as possible and if I can't fit anymore in my bags then I'll donate the rest of the cash to the shelters that I visit.
On a side note, - to my family and friends, since my birthday is in October, please donate here instead of buying me present.
The money that I'm raising is to buy as many of the following items.
- Cotton Wool/Balls/Swabs
- Sterile and Non-Sterile Gauze
- Non-Sterile Gloves (sizes Small and Medium)
- Scrubs (tops and bottoms; small and medium)
- IV Giving Sets (20-dropper and 60-dropper sets)
- Flea & Tick spot ons (medium & large dogs)
- Strong slip leashes
- Food/water bowls (preferably metal)
- Tick/flea shampoo
- Grooming clippers
- Nail clippers
- Small cat litter trays
- Headlamps and extra batteries
- Chlorhexidine Gluconate 4%
- Nano silver/Colloidal silver wound care spray
- Bandaging materials such as:
- Rolled Gauze
- Skin Tape
- Medicines such as:
- Amoxy Clav (clavamox/augmentin)
- Enrofloxacin (baytril)
- NSAID (meloxicam/tolfedine/carprofen)
- Worming Tablets (medium and large dogs)
- Eye antibiotics in drop form (Neomycin, Gentamicin, Terramycin)
Please consider dontating.
Thank you for your support
Ive been asked a few questions regarding this project so here is some extra information.
1. Why Thailand? There are so many strays here [in South Afica] that also need the procedure.
-the college that I'm studying for with is partnered with an amazing organization called GoPawesome. They specialize in sterilization of dogs in Asia. Unlike many countries in Asia (Thailand included), South Africa has a network of shelters and welfares that do sterilization and neutering of strays and many have a massive amount of sponsorships and staff to handle this. Thailand is a completly different culture to what most of us are used to and only just recently did it ban the dog meat market. Despite this, dogs are still mistreated and killed for their flesh. The shelters that are there struggle greatly with this. Take a look at a documentary called the Shadow Trade.
2. What experience do you have to volunteer there?
- This is not just some casual volunteering. I'm busy studying veterinary nursing and I'll be assisting in surgeries everyday for a week where we hope to do at least 300 animals. At the moment I am currently working at an animal shelter in Cape Town assisting with the strays and with the hospital
3. Would you accept donations of the things you are looking to buy? I can get you some boxes of gloves and gauze and such
-i know many people feel sceptical on financial donations. If you can get the supplies to me in Cape Town then supplies are also welcome. Anything on the wish list above.
Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any more questions. :