Increasing global temperatures has created a shockwave of climate-related deaths, migration and insecurity. Right now, climate change has cost us:
- 70,000 additional deaths from a rapid spike in heatstroke victims in 2003 (in Europe alone),
- 50,000 additional deaths of children under 5 due to increasing water-borne diseases,
- 16 dead and 2.6 million due to power outages in Texas,
- 1.3 million km2 (502,000 square miles) of forests lost,
- Endangering the survival of more than 700 species of mammal and bird species including the Orangutang, Sumatran Tiger, Asian Elephants and Orcas
- An estimated $28 trillion in economic loss from our major cities going underwater
And much more…
We need to switch to green energy and create green jobs, now. If we wait any longer, the change will only become more abrupt and difficult.
Why Wind Energy?
If we increase wind energy production to roughly 25% of the world’s energy, we would save US$7.7 trillion and 98.7 gigatonnes of CO22 from entering our atmosphere forever. In China, the world’s leading green energy producer, it is estimated 720,000 new jobs will be created by 2050.
Wind energy is extremely efficient because:
- It is cheaper to produce wind-energy than gas-generated electricity,
- A single turn can power 1 household’s daily electricity use,
- It takes less than 1 year to build a wind farm,
- Wind farms use less than 1% of the land it sits on, allowing the land under the wind turbines to be used for agriculture.
“For the world, the decision is simple: invest in the future or the past.” - Project Drawdown on Wind Energy.
Help Build Wind Farms
This wind farm project has been certified by The Gold Standard as a reliable and trustworthy project that delivers on its promises. Based in Bac Lieu, Vietnam, this is the first large scale wind farm in the Mekong Delta and generates 327,826 MWh of clean electricity on average annually. This is a huge shift in a region that was previously 100% dependent on fossil fuel energy.
It also has community benefits, including:
- Reducing the frequency of power cuts in Vietnam that negatively affect the economy and local livelihoods,
- Creating fairly paid jobs for over 100 Vietnamese, alleviating poverty in the Bac Lieu province,
- Generating eco-tourism revenue by creating a unique landscape that attracts tourists,
- Contributing to ‘Fund for the Poor’ and ‘Fund for Farmers’ that protect agricultural rights of Vietnamese farmers,
- Funding local sporting and cultural activities,
- Planting trees in the region that improve biodiversity,
- Paving the way for more wind projects and the transition to green energy in Vietnam.
All proceeds (minus fees) go directly to supporting this community. Your contribution is greatly appreciated and helps change the world.