Waste materials management and recycling.
I started a workshop at SHADAO office in lushoto town by recycling two type of waste materials. Such as plastic waste and organic waste and use them into creation of green garden.
I start this campaign in order to have money of creating waste bins network around town which will categories types of waste materials bins to make efficiently in recycling and give education by creating flyers which will explain how we should manage waste materials and recycling them. First phase of the workshop which I did recycling plastic bottles and organic waste into vegetables garden.
Collection and recycling of plastic bottles.
Collection of the decomposed waste and recycle into soil fertilizer.
Introduce network bins in Lushoto town.
1. Our goal is to collect 3 tons per month worth of plastic waste in Lushoto Area.
2. To collect 5 tons of organic waste material and turn them into soil fertilizer
3. To distribute 100 bins in Lushoto town
4. To educate 200,000 people in Lushoto.
- MAIN OBJECTIVES
- Environment conservation based in waste materials management and waste materials recycling by turning plastic bottles into agriculture facility, organic greens garden and home decoration facilities.
- SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
- To provide community awareness about waste material management and recycling.
- To introduce division of waste material and reuse plastic and organic waste.
- To promote waste material resource use for income creation.
It is important at this stage to explain how plastic waste management currently happens in the Lushoto area. The local community is used to getting rid of plastic waste through burning. Holes are dug in the ground and all types of reuse are mixed together then burned in the best of cases and sometimes just covered up and left there forever.
This of course, has a strong adverse impact on soil fertility which in turns impacts the local community that is extremely reliant on agriculture for survival. The community behavior and capacity in waste management is very poor and this has become a great challenge in the collection of waste materials hence SHADAO realize the challenge and decide to comet itself in the mobilization of community in waste material management.
HOW ARE WE GOING TO HAVE A POSITIVE IMPACT
WE ARE GOING TO COLLECT PLASTIC BOTTLES AND PLASTIC BAGS IN THE FOLLOWNG WAYS
- BY EDUCATING THE YOUNG PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY
- BY EDUCATING ADULTS IN THE COMMUNITY
- VILLAGE MEETING
- ADULT SEMINAR
- ESTABLISH A NETWORK OF BINS IN THE TOWN TO FACILITATE
- COLLECTION OF PLASTIC WASTE
- ACCESS TO WASTE STOCKING LOCATION
- SIGN POSTING LOCATIONS CURRENTLY USED AS DUMP SITES BY THE LOCAL COMMUNITY
- TURNING PLASTIC WASTE INTO USABLE AGRICULTURAL TOOLS/FACILITIES
Picture 1;Ongoing project of collecting and turning Kilimanjaro plastic bottles from the Coca Cola Company into green garden or agricultural facility, Lushoto Tanzania.
Picture 2; Progress of ongoing project in waste material management and recycling by using plastic bottles from Kilimanjaro Coca-Cola companyas garden for vegetables and fruits facility in Lushoto Tanzania.
EXPERIENCE WITH PROGRAM
SHADAO NGO we had been working with the community and other environmental stakeholders by educating about environmental conservation and establish several trees nursery and planting into opens area around Usambara Mountains. Our goals is to improve community skills in waste management materials and recycling, we started a program workshop in our office which we use two types of waste from plastic bottles and organic materials to change them into organic green garden.
Through result of waste materials management and recycling program in our office workshop, we discover several innovative ways of waste separation and use them into different positive ways. We will use this experience to provide education and conduct different workshops in schools and Lushoto community, where we will provide education to change behavior on the waste management.
SHADAO have achieved to implement the program in Recycling of plastic and organic waste through collaborating with local government community and other stakeholder NGOS in Lushoto were by the technical personnel to assist community mobilization has been provided by Lushoto Civil Society Coalition (LUSCO).To realize the joint efforts towards sustainable environmental management SHADAO will continue collaborating with other local stakeholders in the recycling program.
Note:Please for more details about our NGO's programs visit our website www.shadao.or.tz