- Irrespective of my background and experience in Urban Planning & Property Develoment Facilitation, i decided to rather follow my pasion and interests. My love for the natural environment and Outdoor life. My interest in Alternative building methods, "Going-Green", "off-the-grid" living, water purification, power generation, sewer purification and grey water use, in combination, all pointed in One direction.....to do Food Farming.
- Living in the urban environment, the city of Port Elizabeth (RSA), has shown me various opportunities of doing exactly that. To do Urban Food Farming..Edible landscaping in the built environment. a Variety of amenities, faclities, living- and work spaces have under-utilized land. Places such as Schools, Old age home (or retirement villages), Children Homes, Pre-schools and Municipal parks and grounds can be converted into Food Gardens.
- My Mission being ;
- * To Educate our childern / Parents and all people interested in "Changing their world" on issues affecting the environment, What "Going-Green" means, How we can contribute towards "Food security" (no matter the scale), Recycling, composting, Permaculture, Planting (Vegetables, herbs and fruit trees), Harvesting and adding value to your product.
- My Pilot project is at the Bonzai Primary school (a private school...not Public..therfore not funded by Government/Department of Education) in Sydenham, Port Elizabeth. (in close proximity of the Nelson Mandela Bay Sports Stadium..as built before 2010)
- * This Food garden project will be an "Ongoing/Seasonal/Year-on-year" Project. Hands-on (for those interested learners) and Educational.
We need :
* Funding for tools, materials, seeds, compost, wood for shuttering and to planter/boxes, water reticulation systems, rain water catchment tanks, a sewer purification systems to reticulate to use of "Grey water" along the Terraces.
* Transport in the form of a Bakkie (truck),
* Cash for fuel and to pay two co- workers (garden workers) on a day-to-day basis.
I have already spent 2 months (48 hours) working this future food garden. (But without the necessary funds, tools, materials, transport and labour/help also to do weeding and other chores, any such project will always just remain "a Good Idea"...
*** I'm Committed to spend all my time, knowledge and energy into such projects for the next 20+ years and become a Leader in Urban Food farming in my Community...Port Elizabeth