Today, according to Hult Prize Foundation there are about more than 1 billion people that are refugees due to conflict, environmental degradation, and lack of economic opportunity.
(This is the break down of 1 billion refugees)
With a crisis that affects 14.33 % of the earth's population uBuild was formed from the unbounded dreams of a team to provide a better beginning to those people who are forced out of living a normal life, by developing an environment-friendly communities with the help of currently available advanced sustainable solutions and creative design. uBuild seeks to continuously pave the way for social security and development for its customers, volunteers, and employees hand-in-hand.
uBuild will be fabricating houses/buildings out of recycled shipping containers. Each houses is designed to be environmentally friendly, energy independent with the use of renewable energy, and sustainable income generation. It is capable of providing food, an alternative source of income, and it collectively forms a community.
Aside from that structures built won’t only be for housing it could also be for schools which is needed by adults not only children since their is need for each one of them to learn that country’s language which can help them integrate with place they are in. In addition to that the vertical farms in the side of their homes can provide them with simple crops, roots and herbs, but the project would not be limited to this since the shipping containers are easily customizable it could be modified to meet the needs of people whether it be a certain type of livelihood, functionality or geographic.
Excess energy generated from the renewable energy of the community can be distributed to other household in the country hosting the refugees.
OVERVIEW OF THE BUSINESS MODEL:
The business model can be simplified with 3 P's:
1. Power - since each structure would be equipped with the atleast one type of renewable energy, the community would be grid tied to the system of existing electrical companies, which means the excess energy will be sold back to the electrical companies.
2. Produce - Each structure will be equipped with hydroponics and the community would also have livestock with the amount of hydrophonic and livestock they would be producing more than what they could consume, therefore the community could sell their excess produce to the community/country they settled in through markets or directly to restaurants. This is beneficial for the country the refugees are situated in since most of them import vegetables from other countries.
3. People - since the refugees would be thought the language of the country there situated in and also vocational courses in the learning centers that will made Ubuild would like to create something like a contracting firm but rather than having a contractor fee after the wages paid to the employees it will become a Ubuild fee that will help improve and create more communities.
BREAKDOWN OF COSTS
Some Designs created:
(take note the design will be changed and customized depending on the location and space amount)
These are functioning protypes placed in provinces in the Philippines.
- The team has originally designed innovative blueprints ready for manufacturing the prototypes. These container home designs are durable, flexible and easily customizable to cater specific purposes.
- The team already has a background in implementing business in solar panels and agriculture vertical farming aside from individual specialties. This includes the wide and extensive range of network/contacts in the fields of manufacturing, engineering and technology.
- The structures that would be built is reusable in the event that the it would be unoccupied and it is durable enough to do so. Also this project isn’t a one time thing wherein its marginal utility is diminished over the use of it.