TRANSCENDENT is a collaborative effort of students from Temasek Polytechnic for our Final Year Project (FYP). Touching on the advancements of Virtual Reality in this story filled with both youthful pursuits and family relations.
LOGLINE: Claire, a brain cancer patient, risks her life by entering a futuristic mind simulation to live in a world where her family is unbroken.
The reason why I wanted to make this film is to educate the audience about the importance of using technology as a tool to enhance their daily lives as opposed to replace their life completely. We see it everywhere we go, with people losing physical and emotional connections, thinking that virtual relationships can ultimately replace the need for real relationships. This creates a large sense of delusion in people, making people fall in love with the ideas that they have about others, rather than for the people that they actually are in real life. It’s easy to manipulate people online with fake personas, and people ought to be more weary about that. This film dramatizes this social issue that’s grown to be our norm. I hope to eventually make people realize that everything virtual aren’t accurate representations of real life, thus, we shouldn’t depend our lives on it and neither should we get hooked on it.
- Janell Alexandria De Souza
Relevance to society
What do we want to portray in this film
1. YOUTH. We want to highlight this point as we see many youths in this day and age just pursuing very worldly desires such as being well liked among their peers thru the means of doing things that is not of right stature, instant gratification and escapism that leads to long term detrimental effects where one example would be the next point
2, FAMILY. In this film we see two different versions of Claire's family. We want to explicitly show the contrast is because there is no such thing as a perfect family in this world. All families have their up and downs and it is up to us in how we approach the situation that has been handed to us
- Doing what's important than what's impressive
Doing what is important rather than what is impressive is very hard to differentiate and very hard to choose between them in this day and age. Youths these days rather do what is impressive so as to gain social stature from the people around them rather than to do the important things in life as there is no short term gratification in for them. We want to highlight that there is no need to conform to the things of the world and that it is the right thing to do the more important thing than it is to do the more impressive thing
Where will your money go to?
Your kind donations will go the different departments that will help make this film possible such as the ART,logistics and tech department to the talent we hire! Every cent we spend goes into this film and it won't be possible without your help!
- June - October 2019: Fundraising and Script-writing
- October - December 2019: Finalising casting, locations and pre-production preparations
- December 2019 - January 2020: Production
- January - March 2020: Editing and post-production
- March 2020: Screening at Temasek Polytechnic Design Show