Hello! We are a group of 9 Students based in Singapore from Temasek Polytechnic's Digital Film & Television. Together, we are creating a 20 minute film entitled, "The Twins (欠)". Through this, we would love to share our passion for the film with you, and through your support - make this film something for all of us. We welcome feedback with open arms and we aim for our supporters to be as proud of the final product as we would. We sincerely appreciate the support and whole-heartedly believe that every little bit counts, supports comes in many different forms and we are grateful for every one of them.
About The Twins (欠)
An older twin must help her younger twin achieve her dessert-making dream or else she would regret living the rest of her life as a bad sister.
The favoured older twin, Ting, has never valued her younger twin, Qi. Instead, Ting's loyalty lies with her father, a gang leader. However, when it was announced that the twins are expected to take over the gang in the future, Ting realises that Qi wants to be a dessert maker instead. Initially, Ting is against her sister’s dream. However, a blessing in disguise allows Ting and Qi to discover a special bond between them. As time goes on, they gradually get accustomed to the world of sisterhood - initially untapped due the wedge driven between them by their father's bias towards Ting. Hence, Ting is faced with a predicament and has to choose between shattering her loyalty to her father or failing to help achieve Qi’s dream as a Dessert Chef. Through this emotional journey, will the twins be able to pull through all odds together?
Themes & Messages
- This film is about the journey of a pair of twin sisters with an initially strained relationship stemmed from parent's favouritism, however, as the film unfolds the twins slowly understand the meaning of sisterhood, by taking the time to understand each other.
- We want this to be something the audience can resonate with, hence, events of the film are taken from experiences - with a twist. However, we do not want to just end it with thoughts and feelings, we want to encourage taking the initiative to strengthen relationships as siblings can be very easily taken for granted.
- The twins show great example of determination to realise their aspiration and make it a reality. Despite many obstacles thrown their way, the twins prevailed in the face of adversity due to their courage to keep moving forward. None of it was easy, but with each other’s support and encouragement they brought out the best in each other.
- We hope that through these characters, we are able to inspire the audience to find your own voice, realise your passion and gather the courage to take the leap and pursue your aspirations.
- In the beginning, the twins' relationship is established upon Sibling Rivalry which is the root to their strained relationship. However, as the character's develop we see that the main factor for their progress is due to that one act of forgiveness. Hence, we would like to emphasise on the beauty of forgiveness.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
This story is inspired by my relationship with my sister. We may fight and hate each other at times, but nothing can replace the beautiful bond the both of us share. With this film, I aim to highlight about appreciating your loved ones. As humans, we tend to neglect the things that we have in our everyday lives -our family. When was the last time you ever sat down with your family to have a nice chat? When was the last time you ever said ‘I love you’ to your family members? With all these questions in mind, I hope that this film will remind people to appreciate your loved ones more.
In Singapore, this topic is raised numerous times: Many youths are so controlled by the expectations that is required of them. Hence, this results in the lack of courage to dream. This film is made to challenge this issue, encouraging parents to not be too over-controlling, but instead let them do what they love. As children, we should be brave and courageous to pursue our dreams.
Thank you for reading!