THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program
What would compel a teen to join a gang? What circumstances would lead them to choose such a difficult, dangerous path?
Most teens just want a family. They want someone to listen to them. When their biological family isn’t around, some teens turn to gangs to find a sense of belonging. What they don’t understand is how hard gang life is and how far off track their lives can veer if they choose the path of a gang banger.
PREVENTING GANG INVOLVEMENT
1). Some things that you should know in an effort to prevent at-risk youth from joining gangs.
- Kids usually join gangs between 11-16 years old
- Prevention efforts are crucial
- Girls join gangs in large numbers
- Parents play a key role in prevention gang membership- Parents need to spend time with their kids, discourage bullying behaviors, identify positive role models, value education and listen and communicate with their children
- Early warning signs are involvement in graffiti, hanging out with kids in public places, neighborhood vandalism
2). Reasons youth join gangs:
- To gain an identity
- Protection from violence and attack from rival gangs
- For closeness and fellowship that is lacking in their lives- Peer Pressure
- Intimidation – being threatened
- Excitement of gang activity
- Poor self –concept- hope to improve their feeling of self-worth
- Fear safety of family and friends
- Excitement for taking risks
- Family members belong to a gang
THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program Life Skills lessons offer teens the knowledge they need to escape gang life. Here are 5 ways ARISE helps reduce gang membership and violence:
- THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program Life Skills lessons offer engaging, structured, easily understood lessons. Never boring or stuffy, always interactive, THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program lessons offer a nonthreatening way for kids and teens to voice their opinions and learn in a fun environment. Often for the first time, the youth will feel understood, valued and listened to.
- THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program Life Skills Lessons give at-risk youth the tools they need to escape gang life, stay out of prison and become successful, productive members of society. Some lessons include:
- Anger Management
- Dropout Prevention
- Conflict Resolution
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention
- Gun Awareness and Safety
- Domestic and Sexual Abuse
- How to Find a Job and Have a Successful Interview
- How to Manage Their Money
- Health and Hygiene
- and SO much more!
- THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program Life Skills lessons are designed for youth who have difficulties with reading and writing. There are no run-on sentences or large, difficult words. Lessons are short, non-sequential and thought-provoking. No boredom means no acting out.
- THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program trains staff members of juvenile justice facilities, churches, social agencies, after school programs, schools and law enforcement departments to be Certified THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program Life Skills Instructors. Their training and experience gives them an opportunity to become mentors and confidants for the youth they interact with every day. If at-risk kids and teens have someone to confide in…a trusted adult role model…they are much less likely to join a gang in search of an open ear.
- THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program lessons are taught in a group setting, giving the young participants experience listening to other viewpoints, voicing their own opinions in a constructive manner and working on activities as part of a team. Engaging in an THE FINAL CALL INC 'S " AWAKEN NOW" program group life skills lesson teaches youth important communication, mediation and listening skills that they can apply in their daily lives.