This is an appeal to help communities in Guatemala who’s income have totally dried up due to the impact of the Covid-19 crisis, as well as providing masks for vulnerable people in the USA.
Guatemala has closed its borders in an attempt to contain the Covid-19 virus. Guatemala relies heavily on the tourism industry which means many areas of the country are suffering.
Lake Atitlan in Guatemala’s southwest corner is one of the countries key tourist destinations yet today it is a ghost town cut off from the rest of the world. The only other source of income other than tourism in the area comes from textiles, and although orders for products from foreign business’s have come to halt, in a bid to bring income into their communities and contribute to the health of people around the world these skilled Mayan weavers are currently producing high quality masks for sale.
This is where we are asking for your help!
- We are working directly with these Mayan weavers and raising money to purchase masks from them providing them with much needed income that is going straight back into their communities and helping them to feed their families
- The weavers set their own price for the masks which are shipped to the US in 3/4 days with the help of our friends at Ethical Fashion Guatemala and DHL
- Once the masks arrive in the US we will distribute them to vulnerable groups who are in desperate need of help during this pandemic to help keep them safe from the virus
- These masks have been made according to the WHO guidelines and meet the specifications for what the CDC are recommending all Americans to wear in public
- With every $5 you donate you will be purchasing one mask for a vulnerable person in the US and giving back to families and communities in Guatemala. Donations will also provide food support and ongoing malnutrition prevention to those in need in the region
The first box of masks will be donated to Grandma’s House of Hope, a homeless shelter in Orange County providing shelter, food, case management and counselling for uniquely challenged women, such as breast cancer patients, human trafficking victims, those who suffer from severe physical or mental illness, and domestic violence survivors.
As a little background, we are a textile and homeware company launching later this year who’s sole purpose and mission is to support our artisan partners in their local communities. We have come to know these incredibly strong and talented weavers and they need our help now more than ever. We know it’s impossible to help everyone in this crisis so please feel free to donate as much or as little as you are able, if anything. We will keep this page up to date so that you can see where your donations are going.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Stay safe and take care!
These masks are also available for US residents to purchase at cost for personal use. If you need masks for yourself, your family, our employees please email [email protected]