In much of the targeted area, lack of water is a key constraint to improving sanitation and hygiene behaviour. Because of this, the project will first start with improving access to water. This will be followed by context-specific promotion of improved hygiene and sanitation practices, in a manner that takes into consideration the socio-cultural (mobile lifestyles, taboos and beliefs), economic (lack of affordable materials in local markets) and physical (hard/loose soil, lack of locally available construction materials) constraints that people face.Mtuli Foundation intends to implement a project called “WASH for Quality Life: WASH-QL”, a project that is aimed at improving access to safe and quality drinking water as well as enhancing sanitation and hygiene in Karonga Northwest. In other ways, we endeavor to;
- Analyze drinking water quality based on its Hydrogeochemical and bacteriological parameters.
- Provide improved and equal access to safe drinking water through water treatment and construction of protected drinking water points.
- Encourage the construction of toilets and disposing points/waste bins at every house and strategic place.
- Train communities in making soap, and managing and controlling wastes.
- Encourage handwashing and use of locally made soap/detergents.