The surgery has been cancelled by Mayo Clinic as they feel it would not be a curative option. We're not giving up yet and will be using the money raised for alternative treatments and potentially revisit the surgery in the near future. To keep updated with his healing journey - refer to the link here,
Matthias Cheung was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma, a rare type of cancer that forms in the soft tissue, at 15 months old in his pelvic region. After a year long battle, he was in remission. Our hearts dropped when we heard the news of his relapse in the pelvic region and spread of his cancer to his peritoneum and his leg 6 months later. He has just turned 3 years old and is fighting for his life at Children's Hospital in Hong Kong.
After several rounds of failed chemotherapy, he is running out of options. Doctors thought he had months to live in June 2020. By the grace of God, a miracle is happening and his condition is now stable enough for potential surgery which is available in the United States called Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy.
This treatment is very expensive and our health insurance will only a small cover part of it, so we are asking for the public to help with crowdsourcing funds to pay for whatever they can.
Some facts about paediatric cancer in general.
- Cancer is the number one cause of death among children
- Since 1980, fewer than 10 drugs have been developed for use in children with cancer, as compared with the hundreds of drugs that have been created exclusively for adults.
The reason for this is because Only 4% of the billions of dollars that are annually spent on cancer research and treatments are directed towards treating childhood cancer.
We would really appreciate your help. Matthias is a lovable little boy with a strong spirit and a smile that lights up the room. We're trying to do everything we can to save his life.
God bless you.
Shirley and Gerry
If you are an overseas contributor please use options 1 or 2. If you're in Hong Kong, please use options 3 or 4 for your contributions.
- Stripe Payment: Click the "Donate Now" button, enter your donation amount and click "Pay with credit / debit card".
- Direct Deposit:
- Hang Seng account number: 787-409671-882
- Name: Cheung Ho Ping Gerry / Wen Suiyan Shirley
- PayMe link: https://payme.hsbc/supportingmatt
- PayMe QR code (below):
- HSBC FPS by phone number - 61133522