“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela
Jamie, James and I have been blessed with an amazing opportunity to travel to Nepal, climb Everest Base Camp and also contribute to help support a non-for-profit organisation, Ne:KALP. For those who know us, we are a big advocate for education and being of service to others to give back to the community wherever and whenever possible.
Ne:KALP is an organisation that was established by a group of local volunteers that worked together to support their community during the devastating earthquake in April 2015. The devastation has led to a series of crises in the country - humanitarian, social and political. Ne:Kalp have therefore continued their commitment towards building sustainable educational projects to bring about a comprehensive change in the education system of Nepal.
- Increased child labor traffiking
- Destroyed and absence of schools and proper education facilities leading to increased dropout rates which has lead to increased low literacy
- Increased financial burden on families
Ne:KALP currently have a number of projects to support their community including:
- Mid-day Meal:
- The program was aimed as an incentive measure to motivate students to attend the classes on a regular basis and encourage parents to send their kids to school.
- For 1 rupee a day, students are provided with a bolied egg and a plate of grains or peas or lentils on their lunch break. The collected fund also supports the purchase of the ingredients and the individual responsible for transporting and cooking the meal.
2. Reconstruction of Primary Schools
- Development of a primary school which was destructed in Sindhupalchowk District due to the quake leaving no space to continue teaching institutions in the region
You can find more information about the organisation and the programs on the website http://www.nekalp.org/
HOW CAN WE HELP:
- No amount is too small. A gift from the heart will certainly go a long way
- If you are unable to provide money please do contact me and if you can help by donating:
- second hand clothes that are oldies but goodies - We will be running a secondhand clothes stall 12th March Kirribilli Markets, 100% of the money collected will be donated to the fundraise - Feel free to come by
- children's books
- school supplies (bags, spiral books, pens, pencils etc...)
Thank you for you support and time. Please share widely :)