We are a direct services organization, all volunteers, with no funding for operations or admin, yet extraordinary results. The need for the people we support is desperate at this time.
We provide humanitarian funding to LGBTI people in African countries who have been caught up in anti-homosexuality laws, draconian penal codes and endemic persecution resulting from state sanctioned homophobia and transphobia. The call for death, attacks and other forms of persecution continues - riled up by anti-gay leaders, politicians, clergy and community alike.
We work in several different African countries, including Uganda, Tanzania, Cameroon, Nigeria, The Gambia, Senegal, Liberia, Kenya, Malawi, South Africa and DRC where when we receive ad hoc funds we are able to provide safe shelter, food and medical expenses for LGBTI people who have been:
- forced out of villages
- fired from jobs
- expelled from school
- kicked out of home
- evicted by landlords
- assaulted by family, friends, community
- threatened with death
- tortured by police
- forced into marriages
- paraded before TV cameras and press
- outed by newspapers and magazines
- escaping police bond that could result in life imprison
- escaping so called mob justice
- fleeing after so called "corrective rape"
Current urgent on our list
- Gay man without shelter interim rent/ transport/ food while arrangements are made to send him to Kakuma Camp
- Two lesbians in need of urgent transport funds
- One gay man urgent travel money needed
- One Gay man needs a police clearance document from his country
- Rent each month for a lesbian asylum seeker in Uganda who INHCR refuses to register - pending our advocacy on her behalf
- Gay asylum seeker in United States detention in need of commissary cash
No amount is too small.